• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Frost Please!!!!!
There is one thing that I cannot bear is the imprecision of redstone. Especially when hoppers counts down items by 3 which breaks ALL related mechanisms such as timers, crushers and sorters. I would rather take the extra lag of hoppers counting down item by item than having half of my grinders and machines broken. This effectively destroys all crusher based farms and makes building 1-hit blaze farms nearly impossible. We were promised a better server for the reset, and in some sense it worked. But we still get lags every day that warrants a reset manually for an auto-restart that is still broken after 2 weeks and redstone continues to get worse than before the reset. We didn't have these problems before the reset why should it happen now?

Also Frost why do I have to "Discover" these changes then confirm with Arrei, couldn't you make a thread that tells me what had been changed so I don't have to sit on 3 useless mob grinders for a day?

What redstone things are causing lag though? Is it other peoples builds or is the server not coping with just so many?
Mechanic, Landrover lover, dont let me near a welder and an oxy torch Big Grin

[Image: CZo9VnF.png]

First, we have a smaller map, less things to load, should be less lag. Second, redstone didn't seem to cause the extreme lags we experience every day after the reset, at least not in the old server of the same minecraft version. Third, the people using lots of redstones should not be the ones to be sacrificed to make the server better. You can remove /pet, out-law hopper floors or flying machines. or even have a system to clear drops on the ground every 5 minutes or so. Redstone wasn't a problem before and it didn't cause the game breaking lags in the old server why should it be the suspect now?

you weren't promised a better server you were promised a new map and economy with everything else staying the same, what you thought that meant was a better server

From what I've been told, 1.9 brought more lag associated with redstone and hoppers, for which Frost has been trying to address without messing it up too much. Prior to 1.10 he was apparently using some sort of plugin, which was also affecting their timings then. I don't know if these lag issues are new or if he's just found the old reports about hoppers causing lag that have been floating around for a few years now, but he observed our TPS tanking rather heavily during peak hours. The timings showed hoppers were causing a fair amount of slowdown, but we were unable to find anything like people using inefficient giant hopper sheets or anything like that.

Sorry about that, I reverted it to default earlier this morning for you and the other redstoners of the server after seeing this thread.

I noticed that one of the major resource hoggers was hoppers when the server lags so I edited the timings to work 3x slower, but transport 3x more items. Obviously this had a major effect on hopper clocks and the sort.

For setting changes like this, I am forced to do them in order to appeal to the majority of the server by having an overall less laggy experience instead of appeal to the smaller group of lets say redstoners for example. Obviously, I would much rather to keep the settings as default as possible while also not suffer from lag. It is difficult to find a good balance.

Thank you Frost