• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theoretical grief via wolves and chunk mob caps
I bred a ton of wolves and, when it dawned on me I have no use for like 30 wolves, I asked chat what to do with them.

After some joking around (kill them, eat them, feed them human souls), something dawned on me - if I can multiply my wolves by two just with a stack of rotten flesh, and I can quickly amass a wolf army, what happens when I reach the mob limit? What happens if I bring that walking-mob-cap to other chunks with existing animals?

When a chunk hits the mob cap it will despawn mobs oldest first. Let's say there's a big happy farm of open-pasture cows and pigs, and you warp to it with 40 wolves.
Will the game then start mass despawning the animals - which were the oldest - and then have a dead chunk with nothing but wolves?

It sounds like a retarded James Bond villain scheme, but hear me out - you can walk around with 40 wolves and make every chunk you come across start mass despawning.

And I don't think it would be loggeable either.

Let me paint out a scenario: A warp owner notices all of his animals are missing and asks staff for help. The staff check the logs and find nothing related to dead animals. All we know is that the animals are gone and they were definitely there before.
The only thing that they have is the list of people who warped there. But how would anybody know when the grief occurred? Let's say there are five people who warped there.

Victim: 1:52 PM, Friday
Guy 1: 12:30 PM Friday
Guy 2: 11:20 AM Thursday
Guy 3: 3:47 AM Thursday
Guy 4: 2:19 PM Wednesday
Victim: 1:30 PM Wednesday

The victim warped on 1:52 PM on Friday and reported the grief. It couldn't have been anyone before 1:30 PM Wednesday as everything was fine when the victim checked in.

We have 4 suspects, but it could be any of them. We don't know the time of when the grief occurred nor do we know who actually griefed it
Now we have a confirmed griefer, but we don't know who it is. What do we do from here?

And what about unintentional grief? What if somebody is walking with a shit ton of wolves and accidentally disappears all of the livestock wherever he goes? If there was no ill intent and the person had no clue, who would be to blame for loss of valuable animals?

Can I just say that staff can not track animal killings via core protect directly but they will look for block data. For example they will look to see if anyone broke in or used the doors around the area.

Furthermore is it actually possible to check who warped where?
Thanks for reading my post :3

- Became Trusted rank in April 2015

You should ask Lex what happens when you bring a ton of animals into someone's house, despawning their pets.
[Image: sVvtyQE.jpg]

(01-12-2016, 01:05 AM)JoBot2014 Wrote: Can I just say that staff can not track animal killings via core protect directly but they will look for block data. For example they will look to see if anyone broke in or used the doors around the area.

Furthermore is it actually possible to check who warped where?

Even more unloggable, then.

@DK

Will do.

(01-12-2016, 01:33 AM)DK_ Wrote: You should ask Lex what happens when you bring a ton of animals into someone's house, despawning their pets.

kill me softly
[Image: co44lLl.gif]

(01-12-2016, 02:00 AM)Lex Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 01:33 AM)DK_ Wrote: You should ask Lex what happens when you bring a ton of animals into someone's house, despawning their pets.

kill me softly

My pets weren't killed softly.
[Image: sVvtyQE.jpg]

(01-12-2016, 03:06 AM)DK_ Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 02:00 AM)Lex Wrote:

kill me softly

My pets weren't killed softly.
You pets were weak dk. Then you got the immortal pet Geoff el calimaro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
[Image: latest?cb=20140209085003]

For my rabbit and mooshcows depots, I have already changed my gates+fences to solid_blocks+doors, then I needed to change doors with holes for arrows (oak I am looking at you) to solid doors. Now I have to build a 3 x 3 chunk column from bedrock to 255 and p-stone the whole thing to protect 40 animals in the middle chunk -- argh!

Mind you I have over 10 wolves, maybe 20 but I keep them parked on their butts -- ooh, I think I figured out why the horses above seem to be despawning ... sigh.
/Rowebot

That'd be hard to deal with, but if someone did do that, we could check the logs to see who warped to X location and from there look to see who has a horde of wolves in their homes.

If it does becomes a problem, I could limit the wolf per chunk rate to lets say 10 and then we wouldn't have this issue anymore