• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple survival worlds
I really would not mind a world reset, aslong as we had a side world I could move my stuff into.. The only reason I don't want a reset is the 1 year and a half of work I have done like tundratown, or my others towns or my big castles and stuff would get removed..
Mechanic, Landrover lover, dont let me near a welder and an oxy torch Big Grin

[Image: CZo9VnF.png]

So in summary, we could create a second whitelisted world with a different seed* and restrict access to ranked players. Likely add a single new rule to allow builds to be rolled back if the builder(s) are inactive for too long.

Copying builds, either all builds at world creation or one by one, is a big load on mods and admins so unlikely to happen.

Hometownmc is as close to a vanilla survival world with no griefing. Most people in this thread like that so adding plugins or rules to move towards a towny or other type of server is not wanted.

* the original seed is pre-1.8. We could generate the new world in 1.7 to get the same world but it would be missing the new minerals, blocks, and animals -- I think most people want the new stuff. Should we wait for 1.9 and more new stuff?
/Rowebot

What happens in a reset? Do people get to move their stuff into the resource world? DO you have to tear down your town to get the materials back? How would it be a good thing if all the towns, shops, houses and railways are removed? For example, would I have to demolish my town to get my materials or is there a way of keeping it/editing it into a reset world?

Also @Sky - I agree. I wouldn't mind a world reset as our town (Mine and Stark's) has some abandoned builds nearby. However, only if there is a way to copy and paste the town into a side world with world edit and then move it back... I just don't want to lose the town after months of effort. Same with the other amazing towns on this server - TundraTown, Mayfair, Onryx, Melon, Moderntown, Cambridge etc.... they're all too good to lose IMO.
The world has moved on, they say...

Danoir_, no senior staff nor FrostVincent have commented in this thread. So this thread is a discussion that might not go anywhere.

A reset of the main world would wipe out all the builds and work. It would take too much time for staff to copy each build to another world. That is why this thread is exploring the idea of a second world rather than reset the first main world.

If we had a second world for a year or more, then staff could slowly move active towns and cool builds to the second world. Then we could contemplate resetting the main world. But staff have lives and want to play MC so not many towns and builds could be moved, even in a year.

I am not a builder of pretty things :-). The only big thing I have is my railroad. I would welcome a second world where I would rebuild but try to build prettier. I would be happy if I still have access to all my builds on the main world and continue to extend my rail there -- I did build it for new players to travel on. Even a world reset would not bother me too much.

But a second world that you rank up to get into does address the one big issue that the original poster brought up -- many, many new players come on, work for a few days on a build but then never come back. Now their builds cannot be touched and 'claim' 100 blocks out.

Letting players teardown other players abandoned builds makes it hard to patrol for grief while only letting staff do the teardown/rollback adds more work on staff.

A world reset is drastic.

A second rank-up-to-enter world means only active players with lots of time invested in HT get on it where they are likely to finish nice builds and extend the builds. Most hit-n-run griefers will never make it to the second world.
/Rowebot

(01-20-2016, 12:40 AM)vilneas Wrote: A world reset is inevitable at some point reguarldless if you get pissed about it our not honestly.

Yes, but that's not my point. An unspoilt sideworld that keeps griefers and shitshack-then-quitters away would be great.

(01-19-2016, 01:07 AM)Danoir_ Wrote: What if we already have towns and don't want to start again? Our town - mine and Stark's - is quite large. How would we replicate this in the proposed world if the terrain was different? would we have to restart just to move away from some of the bad huts/shacks near us?

Also, to reply to Peng's idea - what do we do if, as mentioned above, our town relies on the terrain around it?

Thatguy33 and Epic_Legend - A full reset would really piss me off. What happens to all of the effort, time and materials me and lots of other regular, active players have put into their towns? No offense meant, but I must ask... How long have you two been playing? Do you have a town yourselves? I would hate to see our town reset just so that there is a clean world.

A little late to the reply, I've been here since September of 2014 if I'm not mistaken, and while I don't have a town (I don't like people living near me), I do have a number of builds that took me massive amounts of time and which I would be sad to lose (Farms, Builds, etc.) I just know that at some point a reset must be addressed and as such, I've come to terms with the idea that I'll likely have to start over at some point.

As far as other proposed ideas, I have to agree that plots feel like a bad idea. Aside from that having an additional world that is gained by rank could work I suppose, though it seems to me like it would make things on the server less of one cohesive server and more disjointed.

I hesitate to push the discussion in a sideways direction but we could expand the current main world and protect the new expansion from lower ranks. Someone who knows world guard would have to say if this is (im)possible. Still one world but expanded with protected area. The expansion would be generated with the 1.8 or 1.9 new stuff.

A related world guard (im)possibility is to let new players roam the second world or guarded expansion but not change anything. They can see what they gain from ranking up but no grief.

Of the two options, I prefer a second world to expanding the existing one but there may be performance reasons to stick to one world.
/Rowebot

My understanding is that our current world size is already the source of a lot of our problems, as such I have a feeling it would not be expanded. (Of course I am not staff so I can't say for sure)