• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griefing Question
Hi All,

Just a quick query. I have a house at /warp Nummytown, which has a few patches of wheat growing at the side, and a hay bale, for decoration. I've come online a couple of times and found that some of the wheat has been destroyed and the bale taken.  Now, it's easy to fix - and I did, but my question is, do I have to report this as griefing, as it's so trivial? My only real concern is that if someone's doing that to my build, there's nothing to stop them doing something more major. A couple of other things have been messed with, again only minor, but it's starting to grind a little.

Land claims are great, but it's not an option here as the rules forbid land claiming in towns (or at least in this one, anyhow.)

Shout out to Waterpuppy888 by the way, for letting me build in Nummytown.
- Gaming Since The 80's

Yes, it should be reported as grief. Here's why:

Two weeks from now, the owner hops back online and sees their house was damaged- something you didn't see. So they ask for a staff member, and one comes over and does a search on who modified the house while the owner was gone. Your name pops up in those logs as having edited their house, so now you get in trouble too, or depending on how much you changed, maybe banned.

In this instance we all know you mean well, especially with this forum post, and this is mostly for other people who have fixed grief in the past and come across this forum thread. Even if it's a couple of blocks to fix, it'll take a staff member less than a minute to fix (should they fix it without the owner reporting it) and you're off the hook.
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!

(02-22-2017, 12:04 AM)Star Wrote: Yes, it should be reported as grief. Here's why:

Two weeks from now, the owner hops back online and sees their house was damaged- something you didn't see. So they ask for a staff member, and one comes over and does a search on who modified the house while the owner was gone. Your name pops up in those logs as having edited their house, so now you get in trouble too, or depending on how much you changed, maybe banned.

In this instance we all know you mean well, especially with this forum post, and this is mostly for other people who have fixed grief in the past and come across this forum thread. Even if it's a couple of blocks to fix, it'll take a staff member less than a minute to fix (should they fix it without the owner reporting it) and you're off the hook.

That's quite helpful, thanks.  The previous, minor griefing has been over the past couple of weeks, so I can't remember exactly when it was.  It's even been as minor as just changing the angle of an item in an item frame. I'll report anything in future, however.  Just let me know - do I report it in the game chat, or make a post on the forums? 

As for editing houses, the only changes I've made in Nummytown have been to my own plot, barring one patch of grass in the communal area near my house which appeared to have been randomly & accidentally chopped to a path block with a shovel.  I fixed it up back to grass.
- Gaming Since The 80's