• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Fine Arts
Thanks for the input. The hair and eye colors aren't subject to change - the sole things that have remained constant in her design all these years are her gold eyes and mahogany/auburn hair - despite being fire elemental I'm intentionally avoiding the "fiery" color blends minus small things like her eyes, for character reasons.. So the challenge is finding colors that would go well with that hair - and therein lies the problem, because the obvious choice of yellow and orange are exactly what I want to avoid, and the complementary color of green is too Christmassy.

You're not wrong that red doesn't blend with purple, but from my (limited) understanding of color theory, that's because red and purple in the right shades can go well as contrasting colors, not complementary colors - the same way yellow goes with purple. So that could mean this is simply a bad shade of purple to go with the current colors, or I'm way off track. But do I go lighter? Darker? Scrap the purple entirely? Leave it as is? A friend of mine's pitched in a vote for it being fine, but I'm still conflicted...

The hair coulour could be more blood-red like (lighter) and the purple could be more dark. That way it would keep the main colours and still become more fitting. (Again, just a suggestion.)
-0,0 days without a sh*tpost

-Forum dwelling since 2015! 

Arrei, i think making the purple a bit darker and adding some light gray shadow on the white parts would make it stand out and look even better
~Doc
"Permit my hazard into your plight. Once life sucked, now 'tis alright?" -Epros, Okage Shadow King

Well, again, the hair's not subject to change - but keep in mind nothing here's shaded or highlighted yet, so I feel the hair will turn out lighter than this in the end.

But darker purple, is it? Interesting... that'd be closer to the color scheme she already had before the redesign, just with a single-colored shawl instead of the multi-color mess she has on now. I kind of fear a dark purple and red mix will bring to mind the colors of a bruise, though.

(10-05-2016, 05:39 AM)Arrei Wrote: I've been looking into redoing another of my character's outfits, and a big stickler for me on her old design was her color choices, being too unmatched and random. At the same time, I didn't want to simply give her a large reliance on reds and yellows while being a fire-aligned character, as that's just expected and overdone. What do you guys think of these colors as a base?

What if instead of colours you used shades? Greys and blacks would go well with the fire design, and it would accentuate her hair and eye colours (or any further colour you use on her outfit to add flair). Maybe a black shirt design with a grey bottom style?

If you still want colour, dark brown, grey with blue undertones, or a darker purple (like plum or dark cherry) might work as well.
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!

I tried out having more grays and blacks, but I felt it clashed with her theme of motherliness too much. Not only is she "team mom", she essentially plays a dual role of both sister and mother figure to Lily when she joins the group (which is why I settled on her name and emphasis on pink, pink lilies). The colors chosen for her top right now were picked because they were softer, and because not having colors that directly complement the red ties in with her character's theme, suppressing her "true" self like a flame is suppressed, only allowing her eyes to complement her red as the typical "window into the soul" thing. Yet she comes to realize it's not as simple as keeping her "true" self bottled up inside, as she comes to accept both sides of her as genuine parts of herself.

A few photos I have taken:
[Image: 8EmYM0F.jpg]
[Image: J9nShsx.jpg]
[Image: f2i3HHi.jpg]
[Image: zNprpQ6.jpg]
[Image: Ff61fyg.jpg]
- KatNip

(10-05-2016, 05:39 AM)Arrei Wrote: Hey folks, need a bit of help here. Haven't had much time for Minecraft lately, so I haven't been able to get on and ask for thoughts on my stuff. I've been looking into redoing another of my character's outfits, and a big stickler for me on her old design was her color choices, being too unmatched and random. At the same time, I didn't want to simply give her a large reliance on reds and yellows while being a fire-aligned character, as that's just expected and overdone. What do you guys think of these colors as a base?

[Image: 45NLEUd.jpg]

The second thing I could use help with is a name. As a character I thought up way back in freshman year of high school, her name, Jerina, was just a mishmash of random syllables, like Arin's original name Arrei and Lily's original name Yeria. It's also much too close to Golden Sun's Jenna, who she bears some resemblance to having red hair in a tied-up hairstyle and being fire elemental. But I'm not sure what to go with. As stated she bears the power of fire to Arin's water, Lily's light, and Vivi's shadow, and essentially plays the role of team mom.
Are all these from a comic you are doing?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Really just a story I've been building up since high school. Got a bunch of characters, bits and bobs of stories, stuff like that. I've always had a desire to eventually turn it into something, like a game or something, but I dunno. Things like that require a big time investment, and that's really at a premium these days.

I am a simple director. When i hear about a story, i want to read it. Plz arrei
-0,0 days without a sh*tpost

-Forum dwelling since 2015!