• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re. Server Rules Transparency
I think we have grown away from the original OP's question. "How come it's not written down in the server rules? And are there any other important do's and don'ts that aren't mentioned in there?"

And I agree with this question. For instance, I recently found out that by doing /speed 10.1 or higher I could go speed 10. I also recently found out that it is bannable if you are flying. Why was this not stated. I mean obviously circumventing the limits by putting .1 at the end is an exploit. But what about other unspoken rules that I have found out about, MONTHS after playing the game for the first time.
I completely believe that their should be more transparency in the rules section. For instance, I recently found out from Gecko that the actual rule on caps is 14 letters, or 3 words is allowed. and anymore than that is a kick/ban. Why then does the /rules say "no excessive all caps", and the warp tutorial only says "don't use spam or caps in chat".

No complete transparency like this breeds hate and mistrust. And seeing as I love this server, I do wish that the rules were a little more clear, rather than being implied. because implied rules breeds implied hate.

[Image: 7bNhSIS.png]

(07-24-2017, 12:02 AM)victorycry Wrote: And I agree with this question. For instance, I recently found out that by doing /speed 10.1 or higher I could go speed 10. I also recently found out that it is bannable if you are flying. Why was this not stated. I mean obviously circumventing the limits by putting .1 at the end is an exploit. But what about other unspoken rules that I have found out about, MONTHS after playing the game for the first time.
I completely believe that their should be more transparency in the rules section. For instance, I recently found out from Gecko that the actual rule on caps is 14 letters, or 3 words is allowed. and anymore than that is a kick/ban. Why then does the /rules say "no excessive all caps", and the warp tutorial only says "don't use spam or caps in chat".

No complete transparency like this breeds hate and mistrust. And seeing as I love this server, I do wish that the rules were a little more clear, rather than being implied. because implied rules breeds implied hate.

Seeing as I'm essentially keeper of the HomeTown Rulebook , I should probably answer your concerns.

1 )  The ruling on the fly speed limit comes out of a generally understood rule against creating lag, which flying at high speed causes because it loads a lot of chunks at a time.  I'll clarify this further in the rulebook via an addendum after this post.  The rules about AFK-farms and loot comes from the private owners of those farms, which is not reflected in the rulebook as they are put forth by a build's owner and not the server.

2 )  I logged in to check this discrepancy, the spam/caps rule was misquoted on the initial sign, it's been fixed now to reflect rule 2G.1 of HomeTown Rulebook.  As to /rules-apart from being in need of an update-it can only be a certain size, which limits its ability for better descriptions.  This is why players should be linked to the aforementioned rulebook thread for in-depth descriptions.  /rules should only be referenced for a refresher on general offenses in my opinion.

What other unspoken rules have you heard of?  A vast majority of server rules should be listed in the rulebook thread, which should be cited via a link when referenced by players.  However, I'll be happy to answer any further questions you have to the best of my ability or pursue a swift resolution when necessary.

Clarifying rule on the use of /speed has been added to the HomeTown Rulebook under 5E.2
"5: Miscellaneous – Punishment: Lv. 0 – 3
 E.  Do not generate lag.
   e1:  Do not leave redstone clocks running when not in use.
   e2:  Do not go over /speed 5, as it loads too many chunks in and causes lag."
Source: https://hometownmc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=13
[Image: MlZF3GH.png]
"C'mon, let's keep it simple, huh?  He broke the rules, I banned him."

HomeTown Rulebook