• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warp Reclamation
So as the thread subject suggests I would like to ask if there is any possibility of bringing this back.

I have found that while making any sort of farm or service it can sometimes be very difficult to have a warp name - that is both descriptive and precise to the service you are trying to offer - that is not already taken by another player. For instance there is only so many ways to think of a guardian farm related warp name where it might still be memorable and easy to find. (Just an example for all farms or shops).

I propose we bring back the Warp Reclamation process to allow warps where players have been inactive for a certain period of time to be resold.

That being said I would greatly appreciate peoples thoughts on the matter as I know this is likely to be a touchy subject with really everyone who doesn't wish their warp to be resold to another player if they can't get on for a while.

I propose a few rules thusly which I think are completely fair:

1. There must a strict period of inactivity of at least 6 months. This doesn't mean not building at that warp for that time, it would mean that the player has not logged in at all during that time and at that point is unlikely to return.

2. You should obviously pay the normal warp price if you use this process as obviously this is a new warp for yourself and you should be charged accordingly.

3. There should be a formal request on the forums if someone wishes to buy a warp that is already claimed with a format much like a ban appeal for example: 
Name of player: Steasaur 
Name of warp: PrismShop
Name of player who owns existing warp: Steasaur
I also think there should be a minimum time for it to be considered and for the existing owner to refuse this if they check the forums.

4. I think in all fairness that if a player buys a warp using this process and the old owner returns the new owner must agree to relinquish the warp to its original owner and perhaps be allowed to create a new warp name for no charge. This way everyone should be happy more or less.

Please let me know what you think, especially staff as we would be bothering you to do this for us which I completely appreciate is already adding to the work you do for us. I think this process will really come in handy for everyone in the long run and will, I hope, limit (even slightly) the amount of new warps being created and added to the list.
“Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and never ever eat pears!”

“Always try to be nice but never fail to be kind!”

“Laugh hard, run fast, be kind... “

I like the idea, and think it should be implemented. It could probably be refined, but i'm not sure how. Maybe the staff have some ideas for something like this

I agree with Mish. It's a great idea, but it would have to be refined a little. I think changing the 6 months to when the coreprotect logs get deleted would make a little more sense. IDK any other ways to refine it. Also I think it might become hard to keep track of. Say I end up leaving for 6 months, then Stea takes Warp P and leaves for 6 months, then Mish takes Warp P. If I come back and ask Mish for Warp P Mish might think it was never my Warp and it was Stea's Warp. The staff would have to know who made each warp and that would be hard to do.
Check out these warps:
PemiShop- Buy and sell items!
PemiSlime - $900 for life, two chunk AFK slime farm!
Paint - Free easels and dye for all!
Court - For all your minor disputes!

I think it's a good idea but some warps, such as paid access farms, should not be able to be taken. I usually go offline during the school year so I'd be inactive for over 6 months in a row. People paid access to my farms and it wouldn't be fair for them if they weren't able to use the farm anymore because I've been inactive.

I usually name my warps with the first two letters being Dr. I have these warps: DrGuardian, DrShop, DrTrade, DrIron, DrEnderman. Perhaps, you can make your warps something like that too. PrismGuardian?
-DrBot

(08-12-2017, 02:16 AM)Pemigrade Wrote: I agree with Mish. It's a great idea, but it would have to be refined a little. I think changing the 6 months to when the coreprotect logs get deleted would make a little more sense. IDK any other ways to refine it. Also I think it might become hard to keep track of. Say I end up leaving for 6 months, then Stea takes Warp P and leaves for 6 months, then Mish takes Warp P. If I come back and ask Mish for Warp P Mish might think it was never my Warp and it was Stea's Warp. The staff would have to know who made each warp and that would be hard to do.

Well then perhaps an amendment to the rule about 6 months to add that if a player is gone over 12 months they can no longer reclaim it as this would avoid situations like that as the minimum that would take to happen is 12 months.

(08-12-2017, 02:21 AM)DrBot Wrote: I think it's a good idea but some warps, such as paid access farms, should not be able to be taken. I usually go offline during the school year so I'd be inactive for over 6 months in a row. People paid access to my farms and it wouldn't be fair for them if they weren't able to use the farm anymore because I've been inactive.

I usually name my warps with the first two letters being Dr. I have these warps: DrGuardian, DrShop, DrTrade, DrIron, DrEnderman. Perhaps, you can make your warps something like that too. PrismGuardian?

I think in fairness you should be able to post on the forums in the same thread as a request to reclaim to say when you are going away for a few months so that your warps are protected and everyone knows they cannot claim those warps. However it should be strict in that if you say you are going for 6 months, if you are gone for over 8 (again for fairness and allowing for special circumstances) and you don't put an update on the forums at least, then your warps are considered abandoned and are eligible for reclaiming. 

I do see your point however after so many months its highly unlikely anybody would use the farm anymore without someone at least advertising it once in a while.

(08-12-2017, 02:16 AM)JPemigrade Wrote: I agree with Mish. It's a great idea, but it would have to be refined a little. I think changing the 6 months to when the coreprotect logs get deleted would make a little more sense. IDK any other ways to refine it. Also I think it might become hard to keep track of. Say I end up leaving for 6 months, then Stea takes Warp P and leaves for 6 months, then Mish takes Warp P. If I come back and ask Mish for Warp P Mish might think it was never my Warp and it was Stea's Warp. The staff would have to know who made each warp and that would be hard to do.

Not so hard, really.  Just set up a shared Google Docs spreadsheet for the staff to reference and update when they create or transfer one.  Warp name, owner name, date created, new owner name(s,) date(s) transferred.  I'm kind of surprised there doesn't seem to be any record-keeping for this already.

Trying to list all the currently existing warps would obviously be too much (and in a lot of cases probably not possible,) but keeping a record of new warps going forward wouldn't be too bad, and current warp owners whose ownership can be verified could request to have theirs added.

ETA:  Allowing transfers could have the added benefit of cutting down somewhat on the total number of warps the server accumulates.  The list is already pretty unwieldy.

(08-13-2017, 02:23 AM)AmbularD Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 02:16 AM)JPemigrade Wrote: I agree with Mish. It's a great idea, but it would have to be refined a little. I think changing the 6 months to when the coreprotect logs get deleted would make a little more sense. IDK any other ways to refine it. Also I think it might become hard to keep track of. Say I end up leaving for 6 months, then Stea takes Warp P and leaves for 6 months, then Mish takes Warp P. If I come back and ask Mish for Warp P Mish might think it was never my Warp and it was Stea's Warp. The staff would have to know who made each warp and that would be hard to do.

Not so hard, really.  Just set up a shared Google Docs spreadsheet for the staff to reference and update when they create or transfer one.  Warp name, owner name, date created, new owner name(s,) date(s) transferred.  I'm kind of surprised there doesn't seem to be any record-keeping for this already.

Trying to list all the currently existing warps would obviously be too much (and in a lot of cases probably not possible,) but keeping a record of new warps going forward wouldn't be too bad, and current warp owners whose ownership can be verified could request to have theirs added.

ETA:  Allowing transfers could have the added benefit of cutting down somewhat on the total number of warps the server accumulates.  The list is already pretty unwieldy.

This part is definitely part of the reason I want this process to be able to happen. I know it won't limit it that much but even a couple of pages less being created every few months would be something because at the moment there are over 1,400 warps with 72 pages and it's only going to increase.

How about making Warps into a rental fee every 3 or 6 months, that automatically subtracts from your /money account. As long as you have whatever a warp costs in there, you can be offline as long as you need to be.

Quote:at the moment there are over 1,400 warps with 72 pages and it's only going to increase.
If they had a restriction on the structure of the name, that would make things easier to find. Like all shops must start with 'shop': shop-BuySell and town-MyCity.

(08-16-2017, 12:29 PM)Mikemc Wrote: How about making Warps into a rental fee every 3 or 6 months, that automatically subtracts from your /money account. As long as you have whatever a warp costs in there, you can be offline as long as you need to be.

Quote:at the moment there are over 1,400 warps with 72 pages and it's only going to increase.
If they had a restriction on the structure of the name, that would make things easier to find. Like all shops must start with 'shop': shop-BuySell and town-MyCity.

1. It's an interesting idea however just for arguments sake let's say a very rich player stopped playing. It could be years before their warps are available for reclamation. Also it would require staff to do this manually for 1,400 warps. It would be unfeasible.

2. Again a good idea however an utter annoyance for anyone wanting to go to these warps. Also we want to limit the amount of warps not add because this would mean farm-guardian, shop-guardian and maybe even town-guardian being created as an example. What would be better is if there was a way to categorise warps in the list under the heading of 'shops', 'towns' etc and the warps would be displayed under that heading but I'm sure the plugin doesn't allow it or it would already be that way.

This sounds like a good idea overall as there are decent warp names that get taken by players who join for a while and then vanish. Or warps that are placed and then never used. However the only problem will be is fixing warps that inactive players once owned and telling them (if they return) that the warp was given to someone else and trying to sort out where it was placed and then setting a new warp for the other person if they're not online.
- KatNip