Wait and update current map later
44.12%
30 44.12%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[UNOFFICIAL POLL] Map reset
After much thought, I think we should start a new 1.13 world but leave the old world online and accessible, much as was done with the original Hometown server world.

It's true that a lot of people don't want to stick around because the server hasn't updated, and we don't want to lose them.  Map congestion and clutter have been a problem for some time and are only going to get worse.  The new features would be fun to work with.  The accessory worlds (resworld, nether, end, etc.) are all overdue for a reboot.  Uber's new plugin would allow us to rebuild the server shop with, hopefuly, fewer of the lag issues that have always plagued it in the past.  There has also been discussion among staff of some other important plugins that have been abandoned by their developers and are getting way out of date, but would be problematic to replace on the existing server or to update to 1.13.

On the other hand, a fair number of people are unable to run 1.13 reliably on their computers.  ArtMap (and I assume various other plugins) hasn't been updated, and a whole lot of people have sunk an awful lot of work into many wonderful builds they don't want to lose access to.  There's still a great deal of uncertainty as to when or whether it will be possible to reliably convert a 1.12 server world to 1.13, and if we do try to upgrade the exisiting world, there's a chance it could end in disaster and we'd wind up having to start over anyway, but lose the old world too.

Regardless of which path forward we take, it won't make everyone happy, and we will likely lose some people who would have stayed if we'd chosen a different option.  My understanding is that the new server equipment should be adequate to the task of keeping both the current world and a new map running, so unless there's some reason Frost hasn't shared that this could not be done, I think it may be the most practical solution.

As lowlung noted, there'd be the question of what to do about server funds/vehicles/etc. as well as HomeTown features which are of great value to the community and would be sorely missed.  I do think it might be worth discussing whether some crucial public resources and unique builds could possibly be preserved and copied over, whether via WorldEdit, Schematica or some other method (obviously, any such project would not be something that could be done for every player, or for every build for our prolific community builders, and would need to be determined by staff on a case-by-case basis.)

Although I understand this wasn't the case the last time the server reset--and also, by way of full disclosure, I do have a vested interest in this matter--I also think it would be fair to at least discuss some sort of token compensation for those veteran players who've voted hard to achieve a high rank, and/or who have invested a lot into the server by way of donations/VIP/etc., especially if it happened recently.  Needless to say, that would have to be done with an eye toward fairness to newer players and starting out with a more level playing field, literally and figuratively.

Either way, it's going to be complicated and messy, things will inevitably go wrong, we will suffer some losses, and we've got a lot of work ahead of us, whether now or further down the line.  So I do not believe we should allow those things to sway our opinion one way or the other.

I have made my views on this very clear from the start, I like my builds and farms on the server, but if it comes down to it I think that a reset and update would do more for the health of the server than letting the server stagnate.

I believe a full map reset would be in the best interest o the server. I'm seeing some comments saying there's a lot left to explore and that may be true but with all the small claims and inactive builds there's very little land for a new player to claim as their own without breaking the 100 blocks rules unless they join a town.

Resetting the map now would mean losing some plugins but that also means player could have something to look forward to as each plugin updates to 1.13 and the server adds them back in. I've got a lot of builds I won't be happy to lose but I know the reset would mean more and new opportunities for players and anybody that made a build can remake their build if they're that attached to them. There's a number of mods that are allowed on the server that can copy those builds and recreate them in the new world when the mods update.

(08-25-2018, 09:09 PM)MadMooC0W Wrote: Reset it!

MOOOOOOOOOOO

There's no logical reason for people to go boo hoo and quit the server if it resets. If you leave because of a reset and go to a new server you'll have to start fresh over there anyways so you're just being petty.
It's a prehistoric planet Morty.
Someone has to bring a little culture,
And It Certainly Can't Be SomeOne

WHO'S ENTIRE CULTURE POWERS MY BRAKE LIGHTS

Updating to 1.13 I think would be a good idea, because like it has been said, we're losing a lot of potential new players due to being "behind the times". How can we grow if we can't move forward? I wonder though if those gains will outweigh the losses of current players that will leave the server if the map is reset. Not that the map would even be truly lost, as we can see the from the last time the map was reset, they kept the old map on the Old Hometown server, so I'm sure they could do that again.

I'm ambivalent about a reset, personally. The way I see it, my builds aren't permanent anyways. I don't come on Minecraft with the notion that the map will never be erased at one point or another, so what does it matter to me if it's now, or in a few years? Yes I'm in the middle of my latest, largest build yet, but tbh, there's a block in 1.13 that I needed for it and a whole lot more quartz than I'm able to find easily, so a fresh 1.13 would be helpful to start over in. We all know how crowded the current map is anyways, and how many "abandoned" shacks and such there are, so a fresh map would be nice. If someone really wanted to keep their builds that bad, they could always save it in schematica and rebuild it on the new map.

With concern to the players whose computers can't handle 1.13, all the more reason to save the old map on Old Hometown instead, so they can still play there. I'm sure their friends will still play with them on the old server sometimes, and still have the opportunity to play 1.13 on the current server other times, best of both worlds!

As far as the issue of plugins is involved, I'm sure they won't update if they don't at least have protection from grief. Other than that.. I mean I joined this server because it's "vanilla" (semi-vanilla) so I'm also ambivalent about most of the other plugins anyways. I know some of us have paid for access to some of them, but I'm sure that staff would make up for it one way or another. Like I said before, nothing on Minecraft is eternally permanent anyways, it's just a fun game folks Smile I'm big on screenshots, so I've got my memories and I'm good with whatever!

I believe we should update as soon as possible. it could be months before we get a working converter for the map, and in that time, we would lose both current, and future players. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a fresh start on my builds and fixing mess ups that i previously made but had no reason to really fix. Plus I could try to get a curve on the market for certain things.

We all come to minecraft servers with the notion that there is always the possibility of a reset. When we build anything, we automatically accept that term whether said or implied.

[Image: 7bNhSIS.png]

I mean, Maybe a chess plugin could make up for art map. . .
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

RainLion here. While I don't mind a map reset, I just started alot...built alot...got VIP3, have funds, acquired many special things (rare eggs, dragon head, etc.) and voted a great deal. So the question is for the "special" things that I've acquired, will they get replaced? And would we get at least some resources that we have gained, in the new 1.13?

I mean I would love to start from scratch and kind of get access to resources and stuff that is now unobtainable aside from slots and stuff. Especially with the 1.13 update it would be cool to explore the 1.13 stuff from scratch and not have all this stuff previously built. I mean I have spent 2 months on a huge project and it would suck to start over but I think it would be nice to be able to kind of have a chance whereas currently there's kind of the set people who have everything they could ever want and it's much less competitive (for lack of a better word). There is also not a lot of areas to build currently and that is always nice to have free space. IDK I mean it would suck to lose stuff but I think it would be exciting to start anew

It would be nice if we could update to 1.13 without having to reset the map...
It would be a pain to rebuild my house again. And it would not be the same as the House I have in this world.

Should there be a reset for 1.13, I have a suggestion to make.

So, I have been keeping an eye on that ArtMap plugin that y'all use on this server. Supposedly the resource is inactive and no longer supported and I don't see it coming back for 1.13. I don't know if y'all know something about this that I don't so assuming that ArtMap won't become a 1.13+ plugin and you can't find a plugin similar, perhaps create a Multiverse World for VIP 1+ (if you wanted to keep the VIP 1+ ArtMap permission y'all have) which is like a plot world purely for making "ArtMaps". I know this can be done in the Overworld but such is the issue with overcrowding and all that.

But you can substitute ArtMap with Vanilla Maps + Plot World and it would result similarly to ArtMap. What I was mostly kinda worried about with an update is the loss of the ArtMap ability. This would help remedy that issue.

I couldn't tell you what to do about converting, I noticed that some above have mentioned something about getting map converters.
I am the coolest lame guy you will ever meet and witness in your lifetime.
[Image: FYXTFLZ.png]