Wait and update current map later
44.12%
30 44.12%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[UNOFFICIAL POLL] Map reset
Due to mass confusion, I would like to remind everyone that this poll and discussion is unofficial. There is currently no planned reset and this is just a community discussion. The main priority is keeping the current map and also update to 1.13 without losing data. If another option is necessary then there will be an official discussion and you all will be notified far before.

(08-25-2018, 09:21 PM)Anonymouse Wrote: Here are my pros and cons to this
Pros
Fresh start, no more unfinished projects cluttering my time.
1.13 blocks o.o
Conduits
Swimming
New logs for builders like me.
TWURTLES

Cons:
I will completely have to rebuy all my warps, I have like (50)
I will have to rebuild everything
Artmap goes bye bye
Other plugins go bye bye
Some of my friends quit because of reset, (yes they will quit)
idk if party plugin will be compatible either,
Have to redo the shops and stuff (if there are build contests for it, count this as a positive)
water graphics lag for me,
CillyArt will be gone
Warp Wolfe will be gone
Warp TwilightHQ will be gone,
My Onechunk build would have been for nothing,
I'll have to live with iron tools o.o

I can't think of anything else but currently the cons outweigh the pros
if you can convince me otherwise Ill change my vote to yes.

all i'm seeing here in your cons is concern for yourself, your builds and your stuff. however, i will address your other concerns:

"Some of my friends quit because of reset, (yes they will quit)"

the server won't grow if it's not on 1.13. your friends, if they'd quit from a server reset, are not loyal to the server community and would likely quit if the server does not upgrade. your friends would also likely be starting fresh on whatever server they chose to move to instead, defeating the purpose of leaving.

"Artmap goes bye bye
Other plugins go bye bye [...]
idk if party plugin will be compatible either,"

plugins will eventually update and become compatible. there are many different plugins that can be installed, so don't consider these plugins as the only ones the server can get. in a couple months, it'll reverse - hometown will be incompatible with the plugins.
star was here
dk was too
so was vil
Grimm was here, too.

(08-27-2018, 03:26 AM)clemster Wrote: Odd that it's being pushed for when there is still an alternative to a reset. A lot of people stand to lose vast amounts of time they invested in the server. Last time this happened it drove players to either leave or for a few, start a new server. To me, it seems that the people who are affected the most are the people who have been playing casually because, to me, when the last reset happened I lost a lot of interest in the game for a while. I had just finished a large build and getting it taken away after 6 months of steady building made me lose all desire to return to HT for quite a while.  I would be eager for HT not to repeat the reset, especially when it hasn't even been that long since the last one.

As to Shisuan's comment about having more builds than most, I'd agree that you probably do, but I imagine that has something to do with the time you are able to dedicate to the server (not insulting, pls dont hate). I wouldn't call you a casual player of the server, obviously an admin needs to not be, but you have a drive that people who come on once in a while to chat and work slowly on projects don't have. I think it's these people who would be hit the most by the reset, and who would probably be the ones the server would lose ( Like how wiseman738's wiseminster, which im fairly confident rivals all your builds, was built over a long time by a lot of people. When the server reset, he left. As did other people)

Well, y'know, thats just, like, my opinion, man. But yeah, i think HT would lose a few people who maybe not everyone would miss, but its a worry of mine.

This is why I'm hoping, if a reset happens, that a means will be provided to move some builds over to the new map.  I understand being attached to builds you've sunk a lot of work into.  There are a few I'd very much like to keep myself, if possible.

As Frost noted, though, this is stil an unofficial discussion and there are currently no actual plans to reset.  But it's good to learn what people think about it and solicit ideas for how to proceed, so we can be as prepared as possible if circumstances do force us to go that direction.

I think it should also be said again that IF there was a reset, and you left you still would have to start over in a new server. Also there are many servers that reset alot more often than HT. Last one I was on reset every 8 months lol. If things could not update in a smooth way, I would rather a reset than to have to deal with the many bugs later that would follow.

I vote NO NO NO to a reset. Am so sick of restarting every time a new update comes out. All my other ones have reset and frankly I've lost interest in doing the grind all over again just to have it taken away. I've spent a lot of time building and gathering resources and am actually looking forward to the expansion of land on 1.13 while still having my god armour and money to buy new things and add to what I have already got. Everyone plays the game a little different. Some build shops, some build massive farms, some take on big builds that they can slowly build on over a long time. Some can only be on for short times and take longer to do the grind, some just come to chat.

Two worlds would just kill the player base splitting friend from friend. Taking a chest full of goodies would just be unfair to those who have a little and those who have a lot.
[img][Image: MzzZfHb.jpg?2][/img]

(08-27-2018, 06:18 PM)belgnbor Wrote: I vote NO NO NO to a reset.  Am so sick of restarting every time  a new update comes out.  All my other ones have reset and frankly I've lost interest in doing the grind all over again just to have it taken away.  I've spent a lot of time building and gathering resources and am actually looking forward to the expansion of land on 1.13 while still having my god armour and money to buy new things and add to what I have already got.  Everyone plays the game a little different.  Some build shops, some build massive farms, some take on big builds that they can slowly build on over a long time.  Some can only be on for short times and take longer to do the grind, some just come to chat.  

Two worlds would just kill the player base splitting friend from friend.  Taking a chest full of goodies would just be unfair to those who have a little and those who have a lot.

I see your point here, but the server doesn't always restart with every new update. the reason we would restart the map is because of new world generation with the new blocks and fixed bugs with some of the plugins. As for the concern you have about "the grind", i feel like it is a bit unjustified, as within only a week or 2, the server will have shops up and people doing favors for money and or stuff to use in builds.

There is also the issue of losing the builds and claims you already have, but again the world would be on old.hometownmc.com, and can always be used as inspiration for all the wonderful new stuff that can come from a new map and new ideas.
"Permit my hazard into your plight. Once life sucked, now 'tis alright?" -Epros, Okage Shadow King

I wouldn't mind a reset, but there's one build that if possible I could take along. It's /warp seacastle, and especially because it's not done it would be nice to take it over.

(08-27-2018, 08:05 AM)Zanycat Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 09:21 PM)Anonymouse Wrote: Here are my pros and cons to this

all i'm seeing here in your cons is concern for yourself, your builds and your stuff. however, i will address your other concerns:

"Some of my friends quit because of reset, (yes they will quit)"

the server won't grow if it's not on 1.13. your friends, if they'd quit from a server reset, are not loyal to the server community and would likely quit if the server does not upgrade. your friends would also likely be starting fresh on whatever server they chose to move to instead, defeating the purpose of leaving.

"Artmap goes bye bye
Other plugins go bye bye [...]
idk if party plugin will be compatible either,"

plugins will eventually update and become compatible. there are many different plugins that can be installed, so don't consider these plugins as the only ones the server can get. in a couple months, it'll reverse - hometown will be incompatible with the plugins.

Yes, I was expressing why I was voting no, and why I would vote yes, I also said these were MY pros and cons, which you seem to not have seen at the beginning of my message. u.u Also, The owner of artmap retired so I know Artmap will not be compatible.
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

Ah, the mass chaos and confusion that even the mention of a server reset brings. For those who are veteran players, this scene is familiar to you. Not but a good bit ago, we were presented with the same question.

For those who didn't get the privilege of being on HT during the last server reset, many of the questions and statements you are saying have been mentioned before. "my friends will all leave", "I wont come back, I've done so much work", etc. The players who witnessed the last server reset have seen these statements many times during the first discussion of the server reset. People were scared, people were angry. People hated the idea of change, the idea of losing, for some players, years of work put into the HT server. After the reset, we lost many players, many of them being newer players, but some of the older players decided that they did not want to rebuild what they've done, which is respectable. But one thing to keep in our minds is, although there is no actual server reset being discussed right now, it's a good idea to keep this in your head, and look at the good that can come out of this.

For the last reset, the old server's economy was garbage. The price of items were dirt cheap, and the same people ran the entire economy. It was too easy for new players to just buy the items they needed with the money they were given at the beginning, and there was no real challenge/goal for new players. They could buy enough diamonds to make armor, tools and weapons, etc, all within the first few hours of joining the server. With the server reset we had, the staff at HT were able to devise and execute an economy where rather than money being introduced by being handed to new players, money could be injected into the economy by players who worked for their cash. The system also set a fixed price on items that controlled the economy (diamonds, etc) and prevented players from undermining each other down to dirt-cheap prices. This sytem allows our economy to remain fair for both new and veteran players to make money.

The server reset also gives everyone the opportunity to start something new, present a new idea to HT. Using myself as an example, the server reset allowed me to start fresh with the older players in the money race. I worked hard, and with perseverance and patience, I was able to run Emporium and the Emo branches, several shops that overall have made me enough money to last forever. Other players, such as UberDeathBunny, also got the privilege of starting and operating easily the most successful player-made shop on the current server, possibly in HT history. The server reset allowed NukedIceCream to become the richest player on the server. The reset isn't suppose to be a bad thing, it's suppose to, as well as promote and help grow the HT community, but offer all players a chance to start over, learn from past mistakes, and push forward to creating another amazing world.

As many people have said, not everyone is going to be happy if a server reset is required for 1.13. Nevertheless, it is not the end of the world, and although we may lose some friends throughout the changes, I firmly believe that nothing but good will come out of whatever choice that the HT staff ultimately makes. I also believe that if you truly want what's best for the HT community, you'll look past your builds and hard work and commit to doing what's right for the future of HomeTown. 

Keep this in mind as we ponder on the idea of a server reset.
Big Grin The Official "Ginga" on the server Big Grin
Warps I own:
/warp Emporium
/warp Gingshop
/warp Rivertown
/warp minfo

(08-27-2018, 11:13 PM)GoldenExbo Wrote: I wouldn't mind a reset, but there's one build that if possible I could take along. It's /warp seacastle, and especially because it's not done it would be nice to take it over.

you wouldn't be able to do that using staff resources but if you get schematica you could make a copy of it and wait for the mod to update to 1.13 then remake it after the reset.
It's a prehistoric planet Morty.
Someone has to bring a little culture,
And It Certainly Can't Be SomeOne

WHO'S ENTIRE CULTURE POWERS MY BRAKE LIGHTS