• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profanity rules
The word C.U.N.T Isnt allowed to be said on the server, where as "fuck" and "shit" and "penis" are all allowed. what makes This word any different? i would like the freedom of being able to say that word as it is very common and i see no reason why it is any more offensive to say than any other words.

Just because its "common" doesn't mean its a nice word to say. I thought the profanity rules were up to the staff who are on at the time so if they say don't, u don't, or if someone complains about a certain word being offensive. Just because its common and unoffensive to you, doesn't mean its not offensive to someone else, and they should not have to "suck it up". This is a multicultural server, many races, many countries where the same word can be taken so many ways. I'm quite glad of the strict chat rules on hometown.
For me a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.
- Roger Caras

(02-09-2019, 09:01 AM)belgnbor Wrote: Just because its "common" doesn't mean its a nice word to say.  I thought the profanity rules were up to the staff who are on at the time so if they say don't, u don't, or if someone complains about a certain word being offensive.  Just because its common and unoffensive to you, doesn't mean its not offensive to someone else, and they should not have to "suck it up".  This is a multicultural server, many races, many countries where the same word can be taken so many ways.  I'm quite glad of the strict chat rules on hometown.

I played the server about a year ago, and had played for a long time before leaving. there was no problem with using that word. as long as it wasn't used towards a player. That word is exactly the same as saying fuck and shit and any other word like that. its not a racist word and anyone who is offended by it should get over it. just like someone who is offended by seeing the word Fuck. its the exact same thing to me. I struggle to understand why that word is enforced, where others like fuck and penis are not in the same way.

I stand with Divergent on this. The word isn't inherently offensive as it is not a slur and does not discriminate against any particular group. It falls into the same category as those already mentioned. Rule one of /rules states "Be respectful to other players and staff. Don't be annoying on purpose. This includes racism, sexism, and backtalk." The word is not dicriminative and can be used in ways that do not directly disrespect other players. (For example, use as an expletive or in quotes or jokes.)

One thing to consider is the reaction of the players online: If using the word creates friction in chat, then it probably shouldn't be used again. While I believe that the word should not be banned outright, I also think that users should be very careful and should take hints when people don't appreciate seeing it in chat. In general, anything that is likely to cause arguments is probably not a good idea.

My personal standpoint is that being offended doesn't give you some special right to have the offending thing removed or altered, however this does not align with the general idea of the server. HomeTown is a place where people can be free from annoyance and discomfort, and therefore it makes sense to prohibit words that would cause discomfort among the people online.

Again, not saying that the word is inherently bad. Just saying that people don't always react well to it and that may be a reason to not use it at all.
[Image: NwK3xJO.png]

I warn, kick and ban for swear (and inventive euphemism) words that are aimed at other players or non-game people.  I ignore the rest.

The word C.U.N.T. has very limited use for general swearing not aimed at other players.  It is a hurtful word outside of the naughty consensual bedroom talk and ranks up with racist labels.

When I see that word in chat, it grabs my attention to scan back through the chat to see context.  I have let very few uses go by without action.

And no, I don't have one -- I am a 60+ old white guy.  That word is one I would expect the 18 wheel trucker to use who paced my 15 year old sister walking home from school for over a mile.  This (then) 16 year old had his eyes opened that day to walking in his sister's shoes.

Note, I have let uses go by. The word is not banned only most of its uses.

xD

I would let this by in chat though gross to you young'ns:

chat> As a 60+ old couple, my dick and her cunt still enjoy being together.

But don't call me a D.I.C.K. and definitely don't call her a ...
/Rowebot

The word can be used in many contexts that are not offensive or disrespectful.

I, for one, would love to quote the big lez show in chat...
[Image: NwK3xJO.png]

Penguin, yes, there are many contexts where the word is not offensive. Unfortunately, when used in anger the word, like many racist slurs, dehumanizes. So does the word, dick, but many men relish that label as it refers to their abuse of power over others. Cunt refers to the others being abused. These are the main connotation of these 2 words.

I have a university degree and I am a lover of SciFi books. My favorite authors are half women, including those that tackle non-conventional sexual topics. My vocabulary is huge and I love the interplay of connotations of the same word used many ways (bad puns are a vice). The big lez show sounds intriguing for that; but uncomfortable in other ways to this straight guy.

The average reader has grade 5 reading comprehension which means they rarely know more than the main connotations of a word. We have minors on Hometown even though we explicitly say we are a mature server. The core of our players are university age exploring their emergence into adult status and sexual identity.

So despite being sexist, dick, is allowed more often than, cunt. Dick enjoys a strong secondary connotation of being used by men about themselves. Cunt does not have that secondary connotation. Yet, university level connotations of cunt do allow that use; lesbians do quickly learn the many connotations whatever their education level; most women learn too by the time they are full adults. Men being dicks for the most part have to get their noses rubbed in it to learn.

That being said, dick or cunt in chat, catch my attention. I scroll back to get the context; I don't allow these 2 words to be used in anger. Unfortunately, main connotations are what I have to aim for, so if you are using the word in mature university level ways, I still warn you to take it out of main chat if others are offended. Then if you are a dick about it, kick and ban happen. Makes me a cunt, I know.
/Rowebot

Divergent_, did Belgnbor, Penguin, and I get our point across to you?

The word, cunt, unfortunately is more of a hot button to people than "fuck", "shit", "penis" and "dick". Note "vag" or "vagina" match "penis" better than "cunt".

Yes you can use it but carefully.

Language evolves and changes. It might be that this 60+ year old is a bit behind the times but from the outrage I see about "cunt" when it is used; it is still a hot button. When I was a kid, "gay" was a happy emotion and now I can't use it that way anymore. And my dad used "fag" in scrabble when I was a kid to mean cigarette (he is an ex-Brit).
/Rowebot

That particular word is considered a much stronger and more offensive profanity in some countries than others, and we have players from all over the world on HT, many of them kids. It's neither considerate nor necessary to use it. There are plenty of ways to get your point across without resorting to foul language.

(02-10-2019, 12:45 AM)Rowebot Wrote: I warn, kick and ban for swear (and inventive euphemism) words that are aimed at other players or non-game people.  I ignore the rest.

The word C.U.N.T. has very limited use for general swearing not aimed at other players.  It is a hurtful word outside of the naughty consensual bedroom talk and ranks up with racist labels.

When I see that word in chat, it grabs my attention to scan back through the chat to see context.  I have let very few uses go by without action.

And no, I don't have one -- I am a 60+ old white guy.  That word is one I would expect the 18 wheel trucker to use who paced my 15 year old sister walking home from school for over a mile.  This (then) 16 year old had his eyes opened that day to walking in his sister's shoes.

Note, I have let uses go by.  The word is not banned only most of its uses.

xD

I would let this by in chat though gross to you young'ns:

chat> As a 60+ old couple, my dick and her cunt still enjoy being together.

But don't call me a D.I.C.K. and definitely don't call her a ...

How does it rank up with racist labels? exactly

(02-10-2019, 12:16 PM)AmbularD Wrote: That particular word is considered a much stronger and more offensive profanity in some countries than others, and we have players from all over the world on HT, many of them kids.  It's neither considerate nor necessary to use it.  There are plenty of ways to get your point across without resorting to foul language.

my rebut to this is what if where im from, words like fuck and shit are extrememly offensive? will they be enforced now too? it shouldnt be that way since its offensive to basically one region of the world.. 

There are kids but yet other profanity is allowed, im saying what is different.