• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profanity rules
Divergent_, cunt has been (is being) used by men to dehumanize women into being a body part.  Same as racist labels to dehumanize enemies.  Look at the #MeToo movement to see the result of men treating women only as that body part.  This is using language for power over others not consensual sex; same deal with racist labels.

When Penguin and I talked about other connotations, the women most affected, are fighting back by using cunt as a positive label. They are trying to evolve the language to take back the word. But common usage right now when used in anger is the same as a racist word. It is a hot button and even saying something like: "Hate creepers, the c**ts" would be unacceptable because you drag in all the baggage of the #MeToo fight and link it to a creature that explodes when you get close.
/Rowebot

I’ll admit I swear a lot and arguably could put a sailor to shame. Even I don’t use c***, as I’ve only ever heard it used to inflict harm or insult on someone. When I see that word used it chat, it bothers me, regardless of context. That being said, it’s not automatically a kick, but I do ask that person to choose a new word for the future.
[Image: W26MrxI.png]

the way i see it is, ONLY people from the usa find it offensive and make a big deal about it. where i am from, it is not taken as anything more than the word friend, unless used as "you are a cunt" in aggressive tone.  ONLY in the usa it is offensive and i feel its unfair since i believe most of the HT staff are USA they feel its 'Right" to Make it considered offensive and 'ban' it from chat. it has no discriminatory meaning, UNtil you decide to get offended by it.

Well now to be fair I'm not from the U.S.A but find the word greatly uncomfortable to hear.

I'm of the same opinion as Star, I don't kick for use of the word but I do think it doesn't need to be used. It's a matter of personal opinion, in my view, as to whether or not the word is acceptable to use.

“Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and never ever eat pears!”

“Always try to be nice but never fail to be kind!”

“Laugh hard, run fast, be kind... “

It's better to avoid harm than to force people to just accept it.

It seems like there's nothing anyone else can add to this conversation other than repeating what has been said before
[Image: NwK3xJO.png]

Divergent_ mentioned above that " ONLY people from the usa find it offensive [sic]." 1st: I don't think that is accurate as Steasaur pointed out. 2nd: that is not an valid argument to authorize it's use. If anything that is a definitive argument to NOT use the word. I understand that in some area of the world it is considered a mild word (I've heard it mentioned before that in some countries it's on par with honey or dear), however if it is offensive to a group that plays on the server, than it should be disallowed, the same way we do not allow people to use racial or sexual slurs.
"Some people you just cant reach. Which is the way they wants it. Well, they gets it. I don't like it anymore than you do."

(02-12-2019, 09:23 PM)Geckorian Wrote: Divergent_ mentioned above that " ONLY people from the usa find it offensive [sic]." 1st: I don't think that is accurate as Steasaur pointed out. 2nd: that is not an valid argument to authorize it's use. If anything that is a definitive argument to NOT use the word. I understand that in some area of the world it is considered a mild word (I've heard it mentioned before that in some countries it's on par with honey or dear), however if it is offensive to a group that plays on the server, than it should be disallowed, the same way we do not allow people to use racial or sexual slurs.

so like... people who find swearing offensive. what do they do? they dont get the profanity they want gone, gone. I say fine ban sexual and racial slurs. but if its banning 1 profanity word that isnt racist or sexist or whatever, then ban all of them. Big Grin

Except that's part of the issue Div, within the US at least that word is almost exclusively used to talk down to women. There's an inherent level of sexism with it's use here. There's also a difference between finding swearing offensive as a whole and finding a specific word offensive due to its derogatory nature towards a specific group.

I don't use it personally. But like, Australian people use the word f*g as another word for a cigarette. I've even heard a couple in the past on discord say it in terms of going to take a break. As a gay person I honestly couldn't care less, mainly because its not being used against me or anyone else, and I don't even say anything about it. It does make me listening up more to know what it was being used for, but once I know i let it go.

That being said, I'm not a woman and can't really make a comment about the C word, but if it's similar to f*g when it comes to insults, I say let it go if it isn't being used against someone.

"Yes I know the f word isn't allowed to be said on the server, I'm just giving an example. And yes, other people have been around when it was used in discord, and no one else cared either.*

[Image: 7bNhSIS.png]

(02-16-2019, 08:06 AM)Divergent_ Wrote: so like... people who find swearing offensive. what do they do? they dont get the profanity they want gone, gone. I say fine ban sexual and racial slurs. but if its banning 1 profanity word that isnt racist or sexist or whatever, then ban all of them. Big Grin

The point is that to many, that word IS sexist, hence why it's not allowed.
"Some people you just cant reach. Which is the way they wants it. Well, they gets it. I don't like it anymore than you do."