• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To all staff
I have been a staff member within JROTC and received the rank 1st lieutenant, I propose a new system for banning. There should not only be ONE staff member in charge of a ban upon a person, such person should be able to have multiple staff look at what has taken place, if it is major grief then ban is done, minor grief receives a warning from staff members not a singular member, inappropriate builds should receive multiple staff to see if it is a punishable offense. Please take into account the other player and also age, what if that player did not see such rule. I believe it should be done in a manner to which the player is given a chance and is not instantly banned upon first seeing without investigation, bans should not be used as a type of "kick" to teach the player. The player should be confronted by several staff and it must be a multi staff decision, I enjoy this server and I want to see it prosper, to see it succeed to become a large well built and well run server. This is not directed towards the entire staff team but it is much appreciated if this post is treated with proper respect. Thank you.

Let me explain a little bit about how our staff team functions, as you likely are not aware of how we run things.
All of our staff ranks have the perms to /ban because all are trained and trusted with the ability to use it as they see fit. Bans are not used as a type of ''kick'', they are only handed out when the staff member deems a major rule has been broken. Inappropriate builds such as penis-shaped structures are straight forward and do not require multiple staff to make that call. Furthermore, this is a mature server in the sense that young age is not an excuse for ''not seeing'' a rule. All players are responsible for reading and understanding the rule when they first join the server and if they do not wish to comply, they should not play here. Grief is in fact investigated by the staff member before a decision to ban is reached. Often times staff are communicating behind the scenes discussing a situation as it is being investigated, so often times there are several staff in agreement before a player is banned. And, often times we do speak directly with the players involved to ensure we have the story straight. That being said, yes, miscommunications do still happen, and mistakes can still be made, we are after all only human, and so ban messages can be updated as needed and bans can be undone.

(01-17-2020, 07:23 AM)melaniebeedot Wrote: Still, bans should be seen as more than what they are, warnings should be done and from what I had learned, user: everystupidteen, removed the penis shaped object immediately, why was there no warning and instead amber was banned immediately, bans should no be used so loosely and should be treated with more respect and authority, if anything preform a kick and warn the player, if the action happens again then asses the situation as you see fit. People deserve second chances to redeem themselves, going through an entire process just to get back in the server is a little wrong and many players may just never come back due to this, I hear all the time in others servers that the staff team on hometown is terrible at there jobs and are abusive, I hope this is not fully true, all I ask is that you warn the player first off and try to work things out instead of simply throwing them out the window like they are worth little, treat each player with respect and that shall be received, you must act as a body not as a singular entity with others that simply look over a situation and do not give much thought, I have been a staff member on discord, in JROTC for 3 years and 6 months, which is much more complex and strict when it comes to all offenses no matter how minor due to it being modelled after the military. Just give people a chance. Also, about appeals, the player if they discuss the reason for being banned already within an appeal should not have to update it when there are things taken off from the ban reason, if they have already discussed and assessed the reason for the ban and it would still be within the appeal it makes no sense of why they would be required to remake or update the appeal because the staff member updated the ban reason after said appeal was made. Thank you for your work.

You misunderstand the situation. The penis shaped structures were reported to staff by everystupidteen, and were not removed by her, but were rolled back by the staff member that responded to the complaint.

We don't give warnings for inappropriate builds because they are blatantly immature and conscious decisions to break the rules, often by trolls, and players that choose to disregard that simple rule and build one anyway don't deserve a warning.

Kicks are utilized more often than not to serve as a warning for minor offenses, and as I said, we only resort to ban when we have deemed it necessary, none of our staff ''simply look over a situation and do not give much thought''.

Players can be granted a second chance, by way of a ban appeal. If the player truly cares and wishes to return to the server, a simple thread post should be no problem to own up to their actions and request to be allowed back.

(01-17-2020, 08:13 AM)melaniebeedot Wrote: Here is the main problem, you use appeals as a second chance situation to such instances, also you seem to misunderstand what I am stating in some of my words, due to a pragmatically sable usage of staff ability, I use a more pragmatic mindset to give everyone a proper chance, when I stated age earlier it had nothing to do with rules but instead of the persons maturity, you seem to take Minecraft as a primarily mature area to which people are attracted is morally incorrect, the primary player base of Minecraft is of the age is 24, however there are still those of younger immature ages. 

We are well aware that Minecraft is played by people of all ages, and that younger, immature players find their way on to our server. While we do accept and welcome players of all ages, we reserve the right to maintain a certain level of maturity in our atmosphere, and players that can't comply with the standards we set, might want to find a more age-appropriate server to play.

Hometown is a privately-owned entity, and the staff team has full authority to censor or moderate the community to maintain order.

(01-17-2020, 08:57 AM)melaniebeedot Wrote: "Hometown is a privately-owned entity, and the staff team has full authority to censor or moderate the community to maintain order."
So what you are stating is that staff is able to use any means that certain member of staff deems necessary for the situation? Also you had mentioned training, could I perhaps look at this training and the full process and requirements of becoming a staff member. also not all staff no matter what rank should be able to ban, there should be restrictions set in place for each rank, which would require the staff team to work together, the key to success is teamwork.

can i add a +1

Yes, that is what I am saying, and have already said once before, each staff member is entrusted with the ability to make judgment calls as they deem fit, and many times will consult with their fellow staff members behind the scenes. Each staff member has reached their position based on the trust and confidence that the rest of the team has in them to uphold our rules and values here on HomeTown.

While I respect and acknowledge your opinion of how the staff team should be run, the owner and his admin team reserve the right to make those decisions. The permissions delineated to each staff rank have been chosen, rightly so, by the admins of the server since its inception over 6 years ago. No one is appointed to hold a staff rank that the team does not have full confidence in to use their perms wisely.

Staff training is privileged information, which is privy only to those that require the training... those that are chosen to be a part of the staff team. The requirements of becoming a staff member are not delineated in any written format, as it would be unnecessary, considering we do not accept applications... the staff team reserves the right to choose who they deem fit and worthy of the position.

(01-17-2020, 09:35 AM)melaniebeedot Wrote: You see, I am making a suggestion, I do not wish to be part of a staff team that is held by unwritten requirements as that would be a faulty rank along with its abilities, you state that staff can use powers as they see fit whish is an ingredient to abuse of power, I acknowledge you have education within the standards of English, I simply am asking that maybe a run through of powers be checked upon, not all staff should be able to ban no matter the trust, set up a requirement system, set up a discipline system, a rank structure, these could help the server function and become more popular to which it can grow, meaning more people and with more people come more votes along with VIP members. I am simply requesting that a fix happen as the system as I analyze it, is not a very well written system that functions properly. Also, staff members such as mod and guardian are almost always online, admins I rarely besides trekky and guy every once in a while. Another note upon this is the fact that you use "maturity" as a valid argumentative statement while that is dependent on the person to which judges this, immature things are stated within chats sometimes, such as 18+ messages or hints, if this is allowed then why is there such a strict rule on inappropriate builds? especially inside a home, made of dirt, in a wall, or next to a wall, to which someone has permissions, and from my knowledge currently there was no complaint, how am I to think of this? I applaud your systems and work, but it needs a bit of fixing, the only reason I want to see the training is to understand how your staff functions, I am not stupid or among the unintelligent people of whom do not understand staff functionality, I hope to assume you are also well educated upon the functionality of staff and same to the admins and above. Staff should not be taken lightly and should be well trained, without any knowledge of your training to which I would not disclose if sent within a direct message, I would be forced to assume that there is little to no training and only that they are chosen because of their activity and understanding of plugins or age for that matter. Do not perceive that I have no idea what I am talking about.