• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server render distance
Hey all. So I and a few other long term players of the server were really wanting to see the server render distance turned back up to around 15-20. There is a one main we would like to see this and would rather work with the admins then leave a server community that we have been apart of for more then 5 years and are very attached to. The reason is that a lot of us end game players build big bases (or in many situations city’s) that can’t be enjoyed at the current render distance (personally it’s hard to build a skyline when I can only see two to three towers at a time). It will also be very difficult to enjoy the new nether when 1.16 is finished as it’s only really glorious when viewed over a large area, especially when viewing more then one biome which would be difficult with current render. Now we know that the render distance has been turned down for a year and a bit now and that it is to reduce lag but we’re sure there has to be other ways to reduce lag. A few possible fixes could be; lowering the amount of people allowed on the server at a given time, reducing the amount of plugins and possibly converting some to data packs as they usually work better with the server, or maybe more restrictions on server intensive farms? Maybe someone else could come up with more ideas in the thread, also if nothing else we would love to hear why it was render distance that was chosen over other options.

-Senpai Matthew, Liam and a few others

Sorry, but render distance is bar none one of the most taxing settings for a multiplayer Minecraft server, with exponentially greater server impact the higher you go. Multiplayer servers used to run with a vanilla setting of 10, but that hasn't been feasible in years. I don't think the server has been able to support a setting even that high since I first joined back in Minecraft 1.7, and updates have only brought that lower and lower. The way Mojang has been developing the game, it is extremely unrealistic it will be able to be turned up anytime in the near, or even distant future, until they finally make the game multi-core.

In short, we'd love to, but we can't. It just isn't an option.
[Image: EEyZodK.gif]