• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Un Official Hometown Art Competition Back Again?
Hiya, glorious HomeTown players/artists, many of you know me as Cil, and I'm here today to try and re-introduce my previously attempted art competition, the Un-Official Hometown Art Competition! My goal was to help and give incentives to all of you, hometown artists, out there for a reason to develop your art skills, as well as to show them off! Not only this, but with an art completion, we can develop further as a community, family, and a big group of friends! I really can't wait to get started on this adventure, and I hope you all will come on it with me, no matter who you are. Smile
I've come to realize that art is art and I limited a lot in my previous listing of rules to which I shouldn't have, and so I've come to try and expand all possibilities of art probable, for example, any medium is allowed!!! No matter what it is! (However, I would prefer blood paintings to not be submitted!)
You are allowed to work in groups/pairs/clubs!
If You have any other questions please message me as soon as possible on discord @Cil#4800, I would prefer you message me there than here!

Rules:
Do not copy other's artwork. (Reference images are completely fine, however, if you choose another artist as a reference, I encourage you to please list the credentials of the reference!)
All art must in some form encompass the theme of the theme given at the start of the month!
You must create a new creation, please do not use a past creation - this is to promote creativity and development, and yes I know it's good to feel proud of your art, but currently, I want you to create new art, and develop and continue your artistic skills! You can always share some of your past art in the artsy discord channel!
You must list any tools you use, and if someone helps with the project, give credit to them!
You are not allowed to pay or have others do the work for you!
Judges cannot participate in this competition.
Rules are not meant to be broken!

Here are some more specific rules in certain mediums if submitted using that medium!

Artmaps: 
I require one of the artmaps to be in my possession so I can verify that you created the artmap yourself!
Please do not copy other's artmaps pixel by pixel!
It is not allowed for someone else to do the artmap and then you ./artmap save it!

Photography:
Anything that reveals your location or any personal information will not be permitted! Your Safety Matters! Taking other's photos without their consent is not permitted as well!
Do not steal photos from online!

Music:
All Genres are accepted!
Please specify if you made the melody, or are doing vocals, also express if you are doing both. Or just one or the other!
The Music must be submitted via a youtube video that is private and unlisted except for a link! (You will not be judged on picture, only sound! (Unless otherwise asked!)

Sculpture:
Can be functional, or sculptural!
For 3-d objects, please take either a video or several pictures that encompass the whole piece!
It does not need to be colored if its something like clay or whiteware!

NOTE: If you want to submit something that is not of these mediums that I have listed, please dm me on discord, @Cil#4800 so I can add a subsection to it!!!!!

Judging:
I will try and recruit at least three other judges other than me! All mediums will be judged on their own criteria, and there will be a 'ranking' in medium subgroups. At the top there will be an overall ranking from the best art to the worst! Prizes will be announced two days before the end of the competition!
I will make all final decisions in case a judge turns out biased!
Judges must submit reflections as to why they gave a certain rating to a piece to avoid any player bias!
There is potential payment in judging for the competition, however this is not certain!

Note: if you are uncomfortable having someone judge your piece, please tell me and I will personally judge it, or if you feel uncomfortable having me judge your work, please tell me so.

Entry Information:
To Enter I just need several things from you which you must submit to me in private message on discord @Cil#4800 or in pm on forums! (Please message me your entry in the following order of entries!) Those several things I need would be:

The title of your work:
Your IGN:
Your Timezone!
An explanation of your artwork (Artist's Statement)
(Optional) Background Information in how you decided to get into this sort of medium!
The Image/file/work. (If its a video or music file please submit it under youtube as an unlisted link only share file to me)
And Finally, A list of everyone else who may deserve credit (if needed)

Prizes:
Community Chest - This is a prize pool where the community can donate items or money to help fund the prizes. More information on whereabouts will be announced later

Cash Prize - The Cash Prize Will At The Start Be 7500$!! Additionally, The cash prize will be determined by how many entries I receive x 500$ + The Starting 7500! That means if 100 people submitted an entry, the cash prize pool would be 57.5k$, and if 10 people joined, it would be 12.5k$. 

Note: If too many people join and I'm unable to come up with subsequent earnings, I will distribute the prizes later on. As people join I'll try to set out five diamonds each time to prevent an overflow from happening, but just note that the art will take time to judge! (This shouldn't be a problem)

Previous Winner Gallery:
I will be opening a different thread where I list all previous winners and placements,
If there is anything I have left out or if you have any questions please tell me. I will announce the themes every month on the first, and the contests will end on the last day of the month at 11:59 pm MST.
October will not be part of the competition as it is late into the month, and some would not have enough time to complete their entries proficiently.

So, What's happening currently?
Well, Currently It's too late to start another monthly thing, so I'm going to start the august monthly competition right now! The competition theme for august will be "Darkest Hour". Take it however you like, experiment, make it yours. make your world. The competition will end August 29th 11:59pm Mountain District Time. Make use of this extra time!
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

Just a note, but if you are planning in submitting a piece later on, if you could send me a message on discord that would be great! My discord is Cil#4800 just friend me/message me!
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

Three days left to submit your piece! 7500+ prize!
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

Welp, it turns out that noone submitted an item by the deadline for this round. However that means the September reward will be at 15k+$ for a prize! The September theme will be posted tomorrow! Stay tuned!
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

Hey Cil! For this contest I understand if you want to keep it wide open to encourage everyone to participate. However, I think that the wide scope of the contest might be what's scaring some people away. I think if you had each round a little more specified into just drawing or just artmaps etc etc the rules would be clearer, and entry wouldn't be so daunting. Like for me personally I haven't understood how my paintings or drawings would be judged against someone else's music. Just food for thought, and good luck with the future rounds!

(08-31-2020, 01:31 PM)DoxNotch Wrote: Hey Cil! For this contest I understand if you want to keep it wide open to encourage everyone to participate. However, I think that the wide scope of the contest might be what's scaring some people away. I think if you had each round a little more specified into just drawing or just artmaps etc etc the rules would be clearer, and entry wouldn't be so daunting. Like for me personally I haven't understood how my paintings or drawings would be judged against someone else's music. Just food for thought, and good luck with the future rounds!

Thank you for your input Dox! It was very helpful to me in deciding where to go next! 

As said, I now will be changing a rule in this art competition. Each month, A medium will be selected along with a theme. This is to try and narrow the wide daunting task of potentially going against another art medium. For September, the Medium chosen will be 'Painting'. This includes Oil painting, watercolor painting, and Acryllic painting. Any pieces submitted will be judged on Technique, use of Visual Elements and Principles of Design such as Balance, Contrast Color, etc. 

With these new medium specifications to simplify the rules and to make a more fair judging criteria, your piece of whichever you will choose will be judged on specifically Balance, Color, and Contrast. I know that some of you can't really paint with these materials, however in the next coming months, I will most likely more easily accessible mediums as the mediums chosen for the specific month.

Now, for the specific theme of this month, protest, now take it as you will, when you submit your piece to Cil#4800 on Discord feel free to explain how you implemented the theme into your piece so we have better context! I know that with these new specifications it might seem daunting and maybe not fun but please don't feel pressured to participate, etc! Maybe view this as an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and try a new style? Remember the prize is 15k+ this month with 500 more every entry that comes in! If You have any inquiries about anything please don't feel afraid to ask, it would be wonderful if you would so I can clear up any confusion! Also if you don't mind, please msg me your ign if you would like to participate so I can know who will be submitting! The Ending date is 9/30 11:59pm MST! Your completely welcome to submit before then!
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023