• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Enchantments Changed?!
As of 1.9, I have tested to see if there is a difference between mob grinding sword enchantments such as Smite and Bane, and have come to the conclusion that the final two tiers of each enchantment are essentially equal!

A fully charged Diamond Sword enchanted with Smite IV will take two hits to kill a zombie or skeleton, as will a Smite V sword! The same data is shared with the Bane of Arthropods enchantment.

Either I am missing something, or Mojang is straight up is trolling us, but the tier IV and V enchantment for mob killing enchants as of 1.9 and later, is equal.

Share your thoughts if you have any other info on the matter,

-Cooked

Try adding critical damage [hitting while falling].

Plus

A zombie has 20 hearts IIRC, don't know how much the swords do at IV or V, but as long as IV is more than 10 hearts of damage and less than 20 hearts of damage, if V is higher than IV even by 1 heart but is lower than 20 then it all checks out.

example

IV - 14 Hearts
V - 19 Hearts

If you add a critical attack to it, V should insta kill a zombie while IV shouldn't or if it does, then that makes Smite V an even moreso worthless enchantment than it was initially.
[Image: 44d3388ebe.jpg]

(06-16-2016, 12:15 AM)CookedCarrotMC Wrote: As of 1.9, I have tested to see if there is a difference between mob grinding sword enchantments such as Smite and Bane, and have come to the conclusion that the final two tiers of each enchantment are essentially equal!

A fully charged Diamond Sword enchanted with Smite IV will take two hits to kill a zombie or skeleton, as will a Smite V sword! The same data is shared with the Bane of Arthropods enchantment.

Either I am missing something, or Mojang is straight up is trolling us, but the tier IV and V enchantment for mob killing enchants as of 1.9 and later, is equal.

Share your thoughts if you have any other info on the matter,

-Cooked
Btw, I did in fact test critical hits and they are equal as well...

Well the rest still applies then, maybe it's like 11 for IV and 14 for V or something, the WIKI knows but I'm too lazy to check it.

A diamond sword does 7 damage normally, and each level of Smite/Bane adds 2.5 damage to their respective enemy types. Zombies have a little innate defense, but that essentially means you can kill a zombie with two full power swings of a Smite II sword. A Smite IV sword should do 17 damage and a Smite V sword should do 19.5 - so both would take two swings or one critical swing to kill.

But keep in mind:
- Zombies and skeletons can spawn with armor, potentially making some cases where Smite V continues to kill in two hits but Smite IV just barely misses the mark, or Smite V's critical is a one-shot but Smite IV fails to kill.
- Smite V doing 19.5 damage means Fire Aspect following your attack is enough to one-shot an unarmored zombie or skeleton. Won't do shit against Nether enemies though.
- 1.9 nerfed Sharpness V to only add 3 damage for a total of 10 on a diamond sword, meaning it'll only two-shot unarmored undead and require two hits to kill a spider even with a critical hit. Zombies and armored foes will all require at least three hits with a Sharpness sword, and unless you want to fight with a Sharpness axe, a Bane sword is your only option to kill a spider with one hit now. (Cave spiders can still be one-shot with a critical Sharpness V sword.)
- If you're doing this for mob grinder purposes, a beacon with strength on could change numbers further. Strength I will allow Smite IV to do 20 damage in one hit, for example, but it will fail to one-shot a zombie because of its slight innate armor. Smite V won't care and will murder the zombie all the same.

Guess I'll need some new op swords without sharp.

I feel like they should have buffed Smite and Bane of Arthropods instead of nerfing Power.

Thanks for posting your opinions/data on the matter. It makes sense that they both add up to 2 hits...

Anyway, I will be selling both of these swords (with looting II) at CarrotMart (warp carrotmart) so feel free to get as many as you would like Big Grin