• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with technical issues (resolved!)
Hey all! So at first I was being inactive because I got a timecard for WoW and I've been playing the shit out of that instead; this is still true for the most part but now I'm also having technical issues that are making it impossible for me to access the server (or any server, for that matter...)

Every time I try to access a server, I get the error message "java.lang.NullPointerException". I've looked this up a lot and I just... can't wrap my head around what's wrong. I tried the most simple fix attempts first-- redownloading MC, completely updating Java, restarting my computer multiple times. Other than that, I really don't know what to do. I'm terrible with technical issues, and I'm really worried that if I try to edit a java code or something somewhere I'll fuck up and make a worse issue to deal with @ _ @

If anyone's good with this sort of thing-- or knows of a page with very specific details that could potentially help me with this, I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction!

(Also put this under general since it's technically not a server problem, just on my end lol)
[Image: 1dogstransp_by_susiron-d8mysci.png]

You are sure you are using the correct java version for your windows?
Turn off or unstall anti virus
Turn off windows firewall / make sure its not blocked
Sign out of MC
IGN: Genocore

Do you use mods/have used mods at all? Have you fully deleted .minecraft before reinstalling it? (I would highly suggest you save any chatlogs and screenshots from the .minecraft folder to a different location before you delete it). It's very likely that something within the .minecraft folder is borked, and that's the cause, since that exception only occurs when java is attempting to reference something that doesn't exist. If a java reinstallation didn't work, and neither did normally reinstalling minecraft, that's most likely the way to fix it.

If you don't know where the .minecraft folder is located, here's what the address for the folder should look like:
Code:
C:\Users\[your windows username here]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

After backing up your chatlogs and screenshots (just move/copy them anywhere outside) completely delete the entire folder. Then download the minecraft launcher directly from minecraft's website and install the whole thing all over again. Let me know if that doesn't work, I have a couple other ideas as to what the problem could potentially be.
[Image: tumblr_nfz4m14xkj1toipevo1_400.gif]

I would suggest looking in crashlog to see exactly what happens. Alot easier to fix then.

I fully agree with Saiyaka and Shisuan.

There is also another problem that can happen and that is you can find you have multiple Java versions installed. These can clash with each other.

To be honest it does seem like the situation that could be resolved by totally removing the .minecraft directory/folder and reinstalling minecraft as in Saiyaka's post.

To be complete though I would visit: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/rem...rsions.xml
Here you will see a statement:-Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the latest security and performance improvements on your system.

This by its very description of performance improvements to me seems to indicate that older code could be used with the newer code and make a mess in some cases.

To make sure that older versions of Java have been removed, I would visit: https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp

If there are older versions on your system the uninstall tool application will find them and help you uninstall them.

As I said above, Sai's suggestion of deleting the .minecraft directory is very likely to fix your problem, however I would just for a good clean install of minecraft check for older versions of Java. That way you can be sure everything is good with Java before installing minecraft.

I hope this helps and good luck. Hope to see you back online soon.
CleeWarrior / CleeHawk
Confused  ** No my build has not been griefed, that's my build style ** Big Grin

Hey! Thank you all for the suggestions-- it was actually Saiyaka's specifically that helped!! I tried deleting .minecraft first and foremost because I noticed recently while playing single player MC that one (or more) of my mods had messed up my creative mode window. I didn't assume at first that a 1.10 mod would conflict with playing more recent versions of MC, but it seems that was definitely the case. Thanks so much for the help, Sai! :3
[Image: 1dogstransp_by_susiron-d8mysci.png]