• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chest minecart bug
Hoppers are not putting items into chest carts directly under or beside it. This issue has been going on or at least a few months. Please fix it, as such mechanic will be very useful to me.

Care to point us to this magical fix? There aren't exactly any resources we can use to pinpoint this problem.

I asked Frost and he said Shis came up with a ix a couple months ago, maybe we can ask them. Also he doesn't think it's server side since all the settings are at default. I found this https://github.com/PaperMC/Paper/issues/354      
And that's all i can find right now.

Hi all,

I thought I'd compile the latest server code Paperclip-1079 to see if this bug is fixed. The good news is that it is and I had a chest empty through a hopper to a chest minecart successfully.

Here's the catch, the release was 4 days 5 hours ago, so it's only really just been released.
I'm not sure what control panel the host for this server uses or if the releases are selectable in the control panel.

When I had my server the host I used implemented the multicraft control panel. I have to admit that due to slow updates to the select list I quite often used ftp to upload newer releases of server code. I also ran a duplicate test server to make sure that it would not break anything before I uploaded.

Anyway fear not, I'm sure when frost gets time he will update. If it's a select from the control panel give it a little while Jellie, it can take a little while for host companies to wake up, especially if they don't only host minecraft servers Smile

I hope this helped, it's on its way.

Best wishes to you all,
Clee

Quick edit: Please note this was a fresh install so there were no plugins in the plugin directory. If the update still has this issue then it has to be a plugin problem or something lurking in a yml configuration file somewhere. Hope it's server code as that will be a nice fast fix.

Thank you for that clee. The server is self managed by myself through a dedicated machine and we don't have a control panel so I manually control all the updates. Last update was 4/3 as I do it biweekly if there are stable builds. Thanks for the info, Ive updated to the latest one so it should be implemented next restart.

If it has been updated, it is still not working.

Hi frost,

You are very welcome. Thanks for updating the server jar.

Ok now for some good and bad news.

I'll go with the bad news first. Item transfer from hopper to chest minecart still does not work.

The good news is it's not a plugin problem either and is just one line in the paperclip.yml to fix.

Here is what happened.

A while back paperclip broke with this transfer problem. The work around was to go to paper.yml and change the hopper push based setting to false.

When I ran my paperclip.jar with git bash as a new install, paperclip.yml did not exist and so the server created it, and you guessed it the hopper setting was set to the work around false!

That being so, when you updated the paperclip.jar and it was run, the config files were not changed as they already existed. Why the server code doesn't contain the code to change existing config files is beyond me! Can you imagine on every update being expected to delete paper.yml, server.properties, spigot.yml and set them all up again? Honestly, developers!

I proved that the following hopper configuration is the problem by setting it to true and not false. I restarted the server and immediately the flow from hoppers to minecart chests failed. Back to paperclip.yml I went to put it back to false Smile

Ok just a recap to fix this problem:

Edit the paperclip.yml and make push-based: false. It should look like below. Hopefully this should do it.

hopper:
     push-based: false

Take care frost and I hope your arm is still improving.
Clee

Good find. But before any such configuration options are changed, is there any info around on what else changing that setting might affect? Wouldn't be any good to fix one problem only to break something else about hoppers, after all.

(04-11-2017, 10:35 AM)Arrei Wrote: Good find. But before any such configuration options are changed, is there any info around on what else changing that setting might affect? Wouldn't be any good to fix one problem only to break something else about hoppers, after all.

Hi Arrei,

Yeah I know what you're thinking, LWC and other chest related plugins as well as hoppers. The only thing I can say is from a totally clean install with no configuration files from a previous install, the server created all the yml configuration files from scratch the first time it was run (not including the restart for EULA agreement!).

Therefore on a new install it would seem that when the server creates the paperclip.yml for the first time the new default for hoppers is push-based: false.

As I said previously after I saw the transfer working correctly, I stopped the server and played devil's advocate and edited paperclip.yml and set push-based: true. Sure enough it broke the transfer so I feel sure it's the answer.

Another interesting question came to mind yesterday and that was, when was this default setting implemented? It might be it was a number of versions ago but as updating server jar files does not replace the originally created configuration files unless coded to make a change, it is an unknown.

Could I say for sure that this setting won't break a plugin? To be perfectly honest no I can't, all I can say is that it appears it is now the default setting on a newly run paperclip.jar.

The only thing I can really suggest is at a quiet time have some tests written down like LWC, Essentials Server trade stuff, chestshop and any other plugins that I don't know about and try and break them whilst white listed. I would however suggest frost makes a few db/yml backups first Smile

One can only hope that as they have now decided to set the default to false that someone might have written somewhere about an issue.

When I wrote the above paragraph I suddenly remembered I had a previous paperclip install in another directory. The date on the files is 18th of Feb 2017. I just looked in the paperclip.yml and the setting is false there too, so at least there has been some time for others to yelp if something has broken. Better to be safe than sorry though.

If I can help test anything please let me know, but I'm a little hesitant as I could be running the same plugins but just have one different setting in a plugin configuration yml and it would throw any tests off from the plugins on HT.

All the best,
Clee

Thank you again Clee for the great detective work. You saved me a lot of time.

I am looking into it and I don't think changing that setting will affect any other plugins. I am manually adding that setting into the paper.yml, but will not be able to test it until I whitelist the server.

It seems that the setting was added in as an attempt to reduce hopper lag as that was a big issue beforehand. I believe the setting changes whether or not hoppers look for blocks or blocks look for hoppers, trading in hopper lag for item drop lag. I don't think either of this will affect the server so I will set it to false once I test it.

Your assistance has been greatly appreciated.