• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Rank System Official Announcement
Hello, as you have all seen on the server, a new rank system as been established. This post is to answer any questions you may have and also to clear up any misunderstandings.

First let's talk about why this was implemented. 
Our server as it is, is simply too big to have a manual ranking system such as ours. There is no way that a small group of people can keep up with hundreds of unique players in order to fairly deal with promotions. The majority of players were [Player] rank. Many of these players have been on the server for months and even years and were unnoticed due to how big we were. The same goes for certain [AdvPlayer] and Vips. That was a big issue. Many players felt like they were stuck on a rank for what seemed eternities. With this, the server has also been dwindling in popularity. Our numbers were dropping steadily and if nothing was done, this trend would continue. With this system, I was able to combine an auto rank system with something that can put us back on the boards in terms of popularity. Of course no system is perfect. Some players feel like the new ranking system is a demotion, or devalues the rank. If you have any questions or concerns please post below.

Now to the ranks themselves.
We have added many new ranks. There are now 10 ranks under the first staff rank which is Enforcer. Keep in mind, there will be perks added to these ranks. If you are already Experienced, subtract 110 from the required votes of the next rank. For example experienced to advanced requires only 90 more votes if you are experienced.
Please suggest some perk ideas here in this thread ---> https://hometownmc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=48

Default          Guest 

3 votes          Rookie 

12 votes        Regular 

50 votes       Member

110 votes      Experienced

200 votes     Advanced

330 votes     Adept

After this, the expert rank will be given out similar to how trusted was given out. This is to keep some form of prestige to ranks for the members who feel like ranks should require more than just playtime. This rank can be achieved after advanced or adept (usually the latter). 

Expert

180 votes    Veteran

Elite

The elite rank will be chosen from the pool of veteran players. Elite will have the ability to use /kick and possibly a temporary mute. These players should help out in case there are no staff online by dealing with trouble makers. This rank will be the last player rank before Enforcer. 

For VIP ranks, I am still trying to figure out a good system for them. Should VIPs have their own set of vote perks/ranks? Should VIPs be implemented into the current system? example: IPs automatically get [Advanced] rank.
I am also wanting to change the VIP rank names
If you have any ideas regarding VIP rank names and how should VIPs fit in to this system please post your suggestions in this thread ---> https://hometownmc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=48

The VIP ranks could be named as military ranks, eg VIP 1 Captain VIP 2 Major VIP 3 Lieutenant as default.
However me personally being VIP 2 and ranked as Experienced I would like to still be able to get the ranks above experienced through voting but currently as votes were reset I need to vote 110 times to get again to my current ranks and then further to advanced. I propose that VIP ranks have the option to be named as the VIP 1 Captain VIP 2 Major VIP 3 Lieutenant or ranked Advanced with automatically 200 votes registered.
A further incentive to donate.
Just a thought Smile
Lowri
[Image: mclogic.jpg]

I agree with Lowri. I am Experienced right now; a former AdvPlayer. Do I have to get 200 more votes or just 90 to rank up to Advanced?

I see how this system does have upsides and downsides for sure. I do believe that this system devalues ranks. For me, being Experienced means absolutely nothing compared to Regular or Rookie. I feel as if I am voting (other than just to support the server as I previously did) to rank up to the point where I have the chance to be acknowledged for my contributions to the community by being manually promoted to Expert; being promoted one step up to Advanced would not mean a whole lot. This devaluing may be improved once you guys implement privileges, though.

That being said, I can understand how this system filters out the players who have been playing the longest, making it easier for staff to choose people for promotions.

Also, at what point does your title show the rank instead of [VIP]?

Final question; do you mean to say that occasionally, staff will promote from Advanced to Expert as they see fit?

Thanks for the info, Frost Smile
you can't take trash out of the oven
[Image: UvdzAjN.png]

(12-27-2015, 02:12 AM)Beo Wrote: I agree with Lowri. I am Experienced right now; a former AdvPlayer. Do I have to get 200 more votes or just 90 to rank up to Advanced?

I see how this system does have upsides and downsides for sure. I do believe that this system devalues ranks. For me, being Experienced means absolutely nothing compared to Regular or Rookie. I feel as if I am voting (other than just to support the server as I previously did) to rank up to the point where I have the chance to be acknowledged for my contributions to the community by being manually promoted to Expert; being promoted one step up to Advanced would not mean a whole lot. This devaluing may be improved once you guys implement privileges, though.

That being said, I can understand how this system filters out the players who have been playing the longest, making it easier for staff to choose people for promotions.

Also, at what point does your title show the rank instead of [VIP]?

Final question; do you mean to say that occasionally, staff will promote from Advanced to Expert as they see fit?

Thanks for the info, Frost Smile

I completely agree with Beo on this.

I forgot to mention on here that if you are already experienced, you just subtract 110 from the required votes so you only need 90 for advanced

Having come in right at the change, I don't have the issue some of the older players would. I am however glad that you posted the information here so I can see what the ranks are and how they are obtained.

the VIP ranks..Vip1 could be Vip, vip2 could be Ace and vip3 could be Hotshot

sorry if bad idea i thought itd look kinda cool to see
[Image: tumblr_mkh3pp3uUu1rmx4bvo1_500.gif]

I can honestly say, that i dont like the new ranking system. (Note, this is an opinion, not suggestion)
Before, people had to spend time, build stuff, be social and use their time for this. Now people only come once at day and vote 3 times and chat a little bit, and then they leave. ( not all of them, ofc, there is plenty of people who spend their time on the server much.) i am one of those "one time at day", but thats because i just dont have time! The thing is, that now people dont do the thing, what they are really supposed to do: spend their time at the server. I know that there are these last ranks what need trust, like enforcer, mod and admin. But those are the last few things before the absolute power.
NOTE: this is still just an opinion. You dont have to give attention to this.
-0,0 days without a sh*tpost

-Forum dwelling since 2015! 

The new ranking system is far superior to the first in my view. The only remaining thing I'd have an issue with is already being worked on (The VIP ranks, permissions, etc). The change has certainly gotten me to vote more in the recent days, as well as be active more often (otherwise I'd just afk). Thanks for the information update frost!
[Image: tWuSvOo.gif]
Miniwoop-woop! 
Check out Warp Bshop! 

I also really like the new system as it appears to be beneficial for everyone. I was just wondering if maybe at Adept there could be an added bonus (such as another set home or different benefit since these seemed to be such a hit in the suggestion thread) Maybe it would help cater to those who are less satisfied with the new system? Just a thought Smile