• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I cant hold this back.
Hello everyone this is donk here I just wanted to say that the past few days I have questioned the rule Be Respectful,
This has caused me to be confused in the last few days. This is due to the fact that every time a religion related topic gets brought up everyone jumps on top of you like your doing something so bad. In actuality NOWHERE in the rules does it say you cant mention religion. And obviously this sparks controversy people (Atheists,and non religious people) get offended when someone say say simple "god bless" in chat. I get that it offends you and all but how is it fair that you can go around saying "god isn't real" "I dont believe in god" and we can say a simple "God Bless" in fact that offends me but I wouldn't force religion down your throat. If anything this rule isn't made right in this circumstance the rule is very ineffective since atheist and people who believe in a religion are both social groups and want to say what they have to say. And I don't see why both groups cant say what they want to say in chat without a huge conflict. But the issue I have is that the people who dont believe in a religion have the upper hand and people have their back and I feel threatened and attacked when chat is screaming NO GOD! THEIRS NO RELIGION ALLOWED IN CHAT! It is almost harassment to me since i was taught to be open about your religion because it is something that defines you the way you act and the way you interact. Even when I try to defend religion in chat I feel very scared of a ban or mute due to all of the hostility. I am very sorry if you didn't want to see this or if this is "against the rules" I am sorry but I wanted to say what I had to say. And one more thing to remember hometown is a place for all people and it is supposed to be mature I feel like it is childish to ridicule people for believing in something and make them suppress it.
"Be respectful to others at all times.  In other words, do not be disrespectful, racist, sexist, prejudiced, etc. to anyone or any social group at any time for any reason–we will not tolerate it.". 
Have a great day!  Angel

donk i appreciate where you are coming from on this, but what sparked you to make this is being taken over the top. at no point did i see any person of a non belief get hostile about what you said. in fact i found it to be the other way around. while i do think that everyone has their own beliefs, you were asked in a non hostile manner to not bring religion into the chat. you asked why and it was again explained in a non hostile manner which made you mad and from what i could tell you rage quit the server. over the last few days yes there has been heated arguments started over religion and i have had to mute people that would not listen to me when i told them that the convo was over and to drop it after it was getting out of hand. from what i have seen it is not the non religious players that are getting out of arms about the religion in chat it is the players that have religion that get angry about being asked to not bring it into chat. religion is like politics when brought into chat and always seems to stir the pot and get out of hand quickly, hence the reason we try to put a stop to it quickly. im sorry that you feel like you are scared or attacked on the server but it is by far not an attack or reason to be scared that i have seen as of yet.
[Image: rIcAAht.png?1]

(03-25-2016, 10:15 AM)vilneas Wrote: donk i appreciate where you are coming from on this, but what sparked you to make this is being taken over the top. at no point did i see any person of a non belief get hostile about what you said. in fact i found it to be the other way around. while i do think that everyone has their own beliefs, you were asked in a non hostile manner to not bring religion into the chat. you asked why and it was again explained in a non hostile manner which made you mad and from what i could tell you rage quit the server. over the last few days yes there has been heated arguments started over religion and i have had to mute people that would not listen to me when i told them that the convo was over and to drop it after it was getting out of hand. from what i have seen it is not the non religious players that are getting out of arms about the religion in chat it is the players that have religion that get angry about being asked to not bring it into chat. religion is like politics when brought into chat and always seems to stir the pot and get out of hand quickly, hence the reason we try to put a stop to it quickly. im sorry that you feel like you are scared or attacked on the server but it is by far not an attack or reason to be scared that i have seen as of yet.

Vil I completely get where you are coming from and im not trying to argue with you honestly I actually consider you a friend :Smile  But the only reason I got mad is because people can be so open about them not having a religion but the tables are not even since I can say "bless you" to a cancer patient who just received some great news. I am very sorry that I caused any up rawr and I will not say anything about religion in open chat and I will keep it in the private messages I will ask the person before talking about it if they are comfortable with it (I usually never talk about religion in minecraft but this server is very open about everything so I just though religion was okay) and I am not saying I will be like GOD IS THE KING OF ALL with no context I will say a simple thing like god bless if the person is in need of a pick me up. I really hope you understand it is not okay to keep your religion a secret but I will know my boundaries now vil, thanks for the reply :Smile PS: I didn't rage quit I was just removing my self from the server like I said ,I felt attacked.
Have a great day!  Angel

I know you are not trying to argue with me and remain civil on the matter with me and I respect that. I understand why you said that and to who it was directed at as well. And there may have been someone who did not know and all that they saw was the end of it. Do both sides take it over the top at times, yes they do. Do the staff try their best to stop it when it gets there regardless of who may have been involved, we try our best. I guess all I am really trying to say with that is we as staff do not take sides with things like this, rather we just stop it when it starts to get overboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
[Image: rIcAAht.png?1]

The main reason why political and theological topics in chat get suppressed is–as Vilneas pointed–that it gets out of hand too quick. Rule #1 is not a rule to be used to on personal feelings in disagreements, rather it has to be used via a lens of objectiveness. If I said, "I do/don't believe in God", then that's a civil statement. However, if I said, "I do/don't believe in God and all the people who disagree with me are <insert pejorative>", then that violates the rule in question. Rule #1 does not prevent heated disagreements, it's used primarily to address crass, outspoken bigotry or overtly offensive rudeness. Simply put, political and theological discussions in chat are suppressed as they cause people to become defensive–or offensive in some cases–and then say something ban-worthy they would not have said otherwise.

I understand that you just want to be yourself, but you have to understand there are people in world–especially online–who will be at your throat if you say what they believe to be false. That's the hazard you face when you bring your own identity online. This goes both ways, and rivaling parties are both culpable in being uncivil at times as I've banned people on both sides. When unimportant people disagree with you online, that's when you say, "Cool story, bro", move on with your day, and don't ruminate on what they think–they're not worth your time.
[Image: MlZF3GH.png]
"C'mon, let's keep it simple, huh?  He broke the rules, I banned him."

HomeTown Rulebook

(03-25-2016, 10:54 AM)vilneas Wrote: I know you are not trying to argue with me and remain civil on the matter with me and I respect that. I understand why you said that and to who it was directed at as well. And there may have been someone who did not know and all that they saw was the end of it. Do both sides take it over the top at times, yes they do. Do the staff try their best to stop it when it gets there regardless of who may have been involved, we try our best. I guess all I am really trying to say with that is we as staff do not take sides with things like this, rather we just stop it when it starts to get overboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Understood Vil im glad this ended peacefully Smile

(03-25-2016, 10:57 AM)Grimm_Wolfe Wrote: The main reason why political and theological topics in chat get suppressed is–as Vilneas pointed–that it gets out of hand too quick.  Rule #1 is not a rule to be used to on personal feelings in disagreements, rather it has to be used via a lens of objectiveness.  If I said, "I do/don't believe in God", then that's a civil statement.  However, if I said, "I do/don't believe in God and all the people who disagree with me are <insert pejorative>", then that violates the rule in question.   Rule #1 does not prevent heated disagreements, it's used primarily to address crass, outspoken bigotry or overtly offensive rudeness.  Simply put, political and theological discussions in chat are suppressed as they cause people to become defensive–or offensive in some cases–and then say something ban-worthy they would not have said otherwise.

I understand that you just want to be yourself, but you have to understand there are people in world–especially online–who will be at your throat if you say what they believe to be false.  That's the hazard you face when you bring your own identity online.  This goes both ways, and rivaling parties are both culpable in being uncivil at times  as I've banned people on both sides.  When unimportant people disagree with you online, that's when you say, "Cool story, bro", move on with your day, and don't ruminate on what they think–they're not worth your time.
I really appreciate the reply Grimm I now understand the topic now and how it should be used and how it is taken care of like I said before I know I am not supposed to say anything to out there about religion, but I will keep it in the p'ms if I really feel like someone can use it and if they are welcome to it thanks for your time -donk
Have a great day!  Angel