• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auction: Selling Elytra!
Elytra Auction

I'm selling my Elytra, bidding starts at $100
- Minimum incriments of $10

I have set a reserve at 1-2k. Open to bids in between.
Only bid if you have the money and are sure that you want to buy the elytra.

Auction ends on the 8th at 9pm GMT

Some info: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Elytra

Good luck.

Is this a late april fools thing? >.<

(04-06-2016, 02:23 AM)Nether_Ruler Wrote: Is this a late april fools thing? >.<

Nope this is legit, as this is a sale and not a lottery! XD

Best regards
Wise.

I would like to bid $150 on the Elytra! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Big Grin The Official "Ginga" on the server Big Grin
Warps I own:
/warp Emporium
/warp Gingshop
/warp Rivertown
/warp minfo

I'll bid $165
xo

If your base price isn't $100, isn't setting the base bid at $100 just a waste of time? Why not set it at your desired base price and skip all the pointless bids? Best this does is that if no one goes above your baseline, you learn that people don't value them as highly as you do, and if they go above your baseline then all this is wasted bidding. And the people who are going to be most likely to pay well/can pay well (collectors/people skilled with the economy, but not people like wise, meat etc who have basically inf money) are just gonna be annoyed when they get top bid only to find they didn't get the item because of a hidden reserve price. The only reason to have a low starting price is to encourage action, but most of the people bidding early on, knowing there is a reserve price, are players who probably can't really afford your baseline or know they're going to pay alot eventually and are just bidding low for... who knows what reason, to keep the bidding going i guess until they get to what they think is a reasonable price? If people REALLY want this item, your baseline wont make a difference, you can't split an elytra, thus if they want it, they have to bid fight for it till they're no willing to go higher, thus, a stupidly low baseline is a waste of time and gets new players excited for no reason.
Sorry about that whole “shooting you” thing, but I know if you look deep into your heart, which is currently all over that tree, you’ll find a way to forgive me.

[Image: GU8OFOr.png]

A waste of time i don't agree with as there is reason why the baseline started low. By starting at a low price it encourages more bids as you said, thus potentially making a bidding war and increasing the price and potentially meeting my reserve due to the bidding war. Players who get outbid and reach their limit is natural and if they can't afford to go any higher for whatever reason then that's the proccess of an auction.

It's just like bidding on ebay for the most part where you could be bidding on an item starting at a low price and ending up at a decent to high final price. Sellers on ebay sometimes have a reserve price as well, and that too could be a total waste of time, but it's the risk you take to get the item you want, potentially on cheap depending on their vaule of the item,

And if i'm being honest other reason why i started it low is that players will bump this post with their bids, so that keeps the auction in the limelight for a little while.

The last reason you presented is the only one I accept as reasonable to start with a low bid when your reserve is higher. As I said before, people who are really able to get this item and really want it will have a bid war no matter what the start price is. However, having a low start price is a bad idea for you because it changes how the bidders value the item, nobody likes to pay 1-2k more than the initial bid, having to pay that much more will put them in a more defensive bidding stance, making them become less and less willing to up the bid (as i have experienced in other auctions). The reserve method on ebay is stupid, and the only time it really makes sense is in actual auction houses, I dont see the point of going into detail as to why as I'm not going to bid on a purely aesthetic item like the elytra, as anyone bidding high enough on this item probably has vip or could offer to buy it instead and have fly which is 10x better and as such is only bidding on it as a collectors item or as someone said "because it looks cool." Besides, the current limited market on elytra's can only last so long before a permanent method of getting them that is much healthier for the server arises, like selling them at /warp shop where it would remove excess money from the server and allow all the wealthy players to get one instead of what... 9 players? or have more been found/lost? When the current market value is somewhere around 2k and theyll likely be sold for less than that when a new solution is found, its a waste of money to risk getting into a high risk bid war especially when you're not even sure you've bid enough to get the item. Much smarter to just save your money up and buy one later when they're cheaper, or not at all because as i said, they're basically useless out side of looking cool.
Sorry about that whole “shooting you” thing, but I know if you look deep into your heart, which is currently all over that tree, you’ll find a way to forgive me.

[Image: GU8OFOr.png]

Let's keep to the Bidding guys, if you folks wanna debate this then take it to PMs. I for one want to see who the next bidder will be.

PS: The idea of an 'admin' shop popped up a long time ago and has been repeatedly shot down since.

I for one don't mind the shop selling cosmetic items unobtainable through legitimate means. However once it starts selling objects found in the world, no matter how rare or functional they are, then that's when they start screwing with the economy and interfering with prices. As we have seen TONS of players play HT simply for the economy, and they should not be punished or alienated with the creeping-expansionism of an admin shop.

Best regards
Wise

PS: If you wanna reply to my point please PM me.

(04-06-2016, 05:01 AM)Wrexial33 Wrote: The last reason you presented is the only one I accept as reasonable to start with a low bid when your reserve is higher. As I said before, people who are really able to get this item and really want it will have a bid war no matter what the start price is. However, having a low start price is a bad idea for you because it changes how the bidders value the item, nobody likes to pay 1-2k more than the initial bid, having to pay that much more will put them in a more defensive bidding stance, making them become less and less willing to up the bid (as i have experienced in other auctions). The reserve method on ebay is stupid, and the only time it really makes sense is in actual auction houses, I dont see the point of going into detail as to why as I'm not going to bid on a purely aesthetic item like the elytra, as anyone bidding high enough on this item probably has vip or could offer to buy it instead and have fly which is 10x better and as such is only bidding on it as a collectors item or as someone said "because it looks cool." Besides, the current limited market on elytra's can only last so long before a permanent method of getting them that is much healthier for the server arises, like selling them at /warp shop where it would remove excess money from the server and allow all the wealthy players to get one instead of what... 9 players? or have more been found/lost? When the current market value is somewhere around 2k and theyll likely be sold for less than that when a new solution is found, its a waste of money to risk getting into a high risk bid war especially when you're not even sure you've bid enough to get the item. Much smarter to just save your money up and buy one later when they're cheaper, or not at all because as i said, they're basically useless out side of looking cool.

This method of bidding with reserve is used in a lot of auctions and is very popular on ebay. Also the elytra will most likely not be in /warp shop, at least anytime soon.

With that I bid 400