• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Things
From the outset, I need to stress that this is an excellent server. My congratulations to whoever is responsible for keeping a relatively high population without letting the lag get out of control. But there's more to it than low lag, much more.

I've been here less than a week, but it's been a pretty intense week. I'm one of a rare breed of minecrafters that prefers the challenge produced by NOT having perks or make-easy features of any kind. As far as I'm concerned, gold shovel land claim is the only reason not to be playing pure vanilla. Oh, OK, I suppose that without Votifier, I never would have found the server in the first place - point taken. But when they put those two things into vanilla MC, there will be no reason to run Spigot at all, IMO.

I don't know how many plug-ins are running on this server, but I do know that they're not getting in my face, which is great. It feels like a semi-vanilla server. More importantly, none of the challenges have been removed by a server shop or by any other means. It took me ages to get my first cows, meaning that I had plenty of gameplay doing it, and a real buzz when I finally achieved it. And don't get me started on zombie villagers! (actually, that was probably a bit TOO hard).

Server shops are the main way that admins break their own servers. Rare items are rare for a reason - it's supposed to be a challenge to acquire them. If everything's available in a shop, no matter how high the prices, the game is reduced to an exercise in farming. But here, the only things you can sell are non-farmables and the only things you can buy are claim blocks. Perfect.

So now that I've completed my home castle with farms (including iron) and a villager breeding compound, its time to set out in search of some of the more exotic content that Minecraft offers, but here's where I hit a snag.

There isn't any.

That's right, every village, ocean temple and nether fortress that hasn't been completely demolished carries a sign somewhere saying "This is mine, keep off". And if I'm read the rules correctly, this carries the weight of law. If I ignore these signs then I'm a griefer and I get banned. Anyone else see the problem here? So here's my first suggestion:

1. Ownership based on gold shovel claims only.

Your jurisdiction goes to the edge of of your gold shovel claim and no further. No more "I was here first, so bugger off" signs. I can't see that the latter adds anything for anyone that wants to get some sleep in the first few days after the server opens. Also, if claims time out after some period of inactivity, then claimed spaces wouldn't remain claimed long after the claimant has left the server (as appears to be the case at the moment).

As part of this, perhaps the 100 block building exclusion radius could be reviewed as well. Personally, I like it when people build close to me as it means my farms keep growing when I'm offline. The rule could be softened somewhat, I think, by just asking people to be reasonable, to move if asked by a neighbour, and by getting an admin to intervene in the case of conflict. I doubt there would be many.

My second suggestion also addresses the exhaustion of content and some other issues besides. I know you're not going to like it, so I'll just put it out there and then explain why I think it should be considered:

2. No more flying for VIPs.

Ah yes, flying. Whoever thought up that idea has a lot to answer for, IMO. Needless to say, I would never want that ability for myself (see opening paragraphs) and I can see the damage that it has done, especially regarding the exhaustion of content. And why even bother striving for that pinnacle of achievement - the Elytra - when flying is so much better?

Of course, I understand the need to reward donators for their generosity, but the only way to do that without adversely affecting the gameplay of others is to confine those rewards to eye candy.

Give your donators fireworks or trails, or sell their heads at the shop. Ranks and coloured names in chat. Anything that affects only what you see, not what you can do. Otherwise, you have yourself a pay-to-play server. I don't really think I need to elaborate on this, so let's move on to suggestion 3:

3. Reset the map.

The content has been exhausted and the only way to address that is to expand the world border or reset the map. I actually like the 6k world radius, as I think that an unlimited world means everyone winds up playing single-player in their own patch. A new, limited world with limited ownership and no flying. How awesome would that be! Big Grin 

Just my 2c,
Zap.

1. I support this, Many people are sitting on guardian temples for later use, or if at all. They're all snagged for some sort of investment, which in my view is nothing than a waste of time for the claimer and for players who need the farm to develop. Not everyone will build a guardian farm or know how to build one. If you don't know how idk what you're sitting on an ocean monument for. 

2. No comment, I am guilty of using it for ease of building.

3. We just had a reset a month ago, Another one would be the end of the server for lots of people. I have been supporting the expansion of the map, but in the opinion of staff it'll be expanded when new biomes or patches are released.

As a Vip2, this might be a bit biased, but nowhere did it say you were required to buy Vip2+ to continue playing, as a normal p2p game would.
Flying has a practical purpose. Colored names and nicknames make you look cool. That's it. It has zero practical use in the server.
I didn't mean any disrespek here.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

omg yes someone actually agrees with me I hate fly it ruins the feeling of vanilla minecraft
-Chicky

Jelly writes:

3. We just had a reset a month ago, Another one would be the end of the server for lots of people. I have been supporting the expansion of the map, but in the opinion of staff it'll be expanded when new biomes or patches are released.

Thanks Jelly, I hadn't realized that the last reset was so recent.

You comment that "another one would be the end of the server for lots of people", but I wonder how true that really is, and whether we should care. After all, the quality of a server is not measured by the number of names you see when you hit the TAB key. Yes, there is a critical mass and if you fall below that then there's a loss of community and that's a crisis. But this server is well above that level.

And why would these people leave? The answer is that they've spent a lot of time building something huge, and a reset (in their minds, at least) represents a loss of time investment. OK, I don't think like that myself (I've spent a lot of time building too, but would wave goodbye to it in an instant to restore a high level of survival gameplay) but I know that many people do. These people are not survival minecrafters, and I have a solution for them.

If building huge things and having them stick around forever is your thing, then you need a creative server. Maybe the HT folks will even make one for you. Problem solved Wink

Zap.

Fly is close to one of the main reasons people get VIP2 and 3 at all. We've had fly for as long as I myself can remember. I just feel you are a bit biased because you as a player cannot fly. Taking away fly would be a big step... In the wrong direction

Oh wait... I have more.

You wrote

"Ah yes, flying. Whoever thought up that idea has a lot to answer for, IMO. Needless to say, I would never want that ability for myself (see opening paragraphs) and I can see the damage that it has done, especially regarding the exhaustion of content. And why even bother striving for that pinnacle of achievement - the Elytra - when flying is so much better?

Of course, I understand the need to reward donators for their generosity, but the only way to do that without adversely affecting the gameplay of others is to confine those rewards to eye candy."

You say that YOU would never want it. So don't get it. And as to your "pinnacle of achievement" comment. Fly is DISABLED in the end. So VIP's can't just fly and grab em all. So it is worth striving for, and believe it or not, a lot of VIP's have the elytra AND use it too (I happen to be one of those people)
If I wasn't clear enough, I am completely against this idea of no fly completely 

Thanks for your feedback Nether. You wrote:

You say that YOU would never want it. So don't get it. And as to your "pinnacle of achievement" comment. Fly is DISABLED in the end. So VIP's can't just fly and grab em all. So it is worth striving for, and believe it or not, a lot of VIP's have the elytra AND use it too (I happen to be one of those people)

With respect, you seem to have completely missed the point I was trying to make. Me not getting flying (of course I won't) doesn't solve the problem created by people that do. Nor does the fact that flying is disabled in the End.

The comment about elytras had nothing to do with flying making them easier to get (which it obviously doesn't if its disabled) but about the fact that flying is in every way superior to using an elytra, making the latter useless to someone that can fly. You say that that you use your elytra even though you can fly, but I can't imagine why you would (except, perhaps, to score a point in this debate).

The main problem with having people around that can fly is that they can easily scout the entire world, finding all the exotic content and claiming it before the walkers can. That puts them in a privileged group that isn't appropriate for a server that is ostensibly NOT pay-to-play. It also reduces the lifetime of the server in terms of the exhaustion of content.

Cheers,
Zap.

(09-09-2016, 02:03 PM)Zapmeister Wrote: And why would these people leave? The answer is that they've spent a lot of time building something huge, and a reset (in their minds, at least) represents a loss of time investment. OK, I don't think like that myself (I've spent a lot of time building too, but would wave goodbye to it in an instant to restore a high level of survival gameplay) but I know that many people do. These people are not survival minecrafters, and I have a solution for them.

If building huge things and having them stick around forever is your thing, then you need a creative server. Maybe the HT folks will even make one for you.

We had a few people leave after the last server reset, as they had just over three years' worth of work that was "deleted" from the main server. We actually still have the old server with all the old builds on a different server (old.hometownmc.com), but it's not supported with anti-grief or staff members; that's all on the current server.

As for the creative world idea, we have that supported too, though the catch is you either have to wait for access by climbing through the ranks a bit or getting a VIP rank to speed up that process. Access to that is just a quick /mvtp creative and you're there.
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!

(09-09-2016, 11:18 AM)Zapmeister Wrote: 1. Ownership based on gold shovel claims only.

Your jurisdiction goes to the edge of of your gold shovel claim and no further. No more "I was here first, so bugger off" signs. I can't see that the latter adds anything for anyone that wants to get some sleep in the first few days after the server opens. Also, if claims time out after some period of inactivity, then claimed spaces wouldn't remain claimed long after the claimant has left the server (as appears to be the case at the moment).

As part of this, perhaps the 100 block building exclusion radius could be reviewed as well. Personally, I like it when people build close to me as it means my farms keep growing when I'm offline. The rule could be softened somewhat, I think, by just asking people to be reasonable, to move if asked by a neighbour, and by getting an admin to intervene in the case of conflict. I doubt there would be many.

The rule has always been that you can't claim land that you aren't actually using for anything. Please let a staff member know if you come across any land you think is infringing on this. As for the 100 block rule, people are allowed to build closer if the owner permits it, obviously. A lot of people want privacy though, which is why we established the rule in the first place.
[Image: sVvtyQE.jpg]

If you really want the "vanilla experience" you're striving for, or villages all to yourself, hop on a singleplayer world.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk