• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Poll: Should I create the Tutorial?
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal for Comprehensive Redstone Tutorial
Hello,

As you know, I use redstone, a lot. And often I see players not abusing this wonderful resource to achieve automation to the highest degree, or to create magnificent machines for all the situations one would encounter. 

Even more often, I see players misuse redstone; not understanding the rules of redstone, what its components actually do, the finer details of interactions between the components, and not able to translate between physical actions and redstone signals. 

Hence, I am inclined to create a comprehensive redstone guide, for every audience of every level of redstone engineering.
  • Beginner? I will have a dummy's guide to redstone for intro. 
  • Intermediate? I will excel your redstone knowledge.
  • Expert? I will patch up the last bit of leaks, or perhaps you can patch mine. 
I shall have an in-game area for visual and practical understanding, and have the texts be written either on the forums or in word files. 

Now, I am certainly not the best at redstoner out there, but perhaps I can bring you a tutorial that is close to the server, and close to your heart. Smile

The Draft of the Plan so far.
Suggest anything that you will like to see. I have thought about the flow of the tutorial and that is unchangeable. 

1. Basics 
1.1  What is redstone? What does it do? (some examples to wet the appetite). 
1.2  Solid and transparent blocks (This is VERY important, as redstone always revolve around these blocks)
1.3  Names of the Redstone components classified into Power Sources, Power Carriers, and Action Components. 
1.4  Redstone power level (power value 0 to 15)

2. Components (this will be almost comprehensive in info of mechanics and behaviour) 
2.1 Power Sources
2.1.1 Redstone Torch 2.1.2 Lever 2.1.3 Both Buttons 2.1.4 Redstone block 2.1.5 Tripwire 2.1.6 All pressure plates 
2.1.7 Trapped chest 2.1.8 Daylight Sensor

2.2 Power Carriers
2.2.1 Redstone dust 2.2.2 Repeator 2.2.3 Comparator

2.3 Action Components
2.3.1 Doors 2.3.2 Gates 2.3.3 Trapdoors 2.3.4 Piston 2.3.5 Sticky piston 2.3.6 Dispensers 2.3.7 Dropper 2.3.8 Hopper
2.3.9 Redstone lamp 2.3.10 TNT 2.3.11 Noteblock

3. Basic circuits

3.0 Pulse Manipulation
3.0.1 Monostable Circuits 3.0.2 Edge detectors 3.0.3 Pulse extender (3.0.4 Pulse length detector?)

3.1 Transmission 
3.1.1 Horizontal transmission 3.1.2 Upward transmission 3.1.3 Downward transmission (3.1.4 Dustless transmission?)

3.2 Logic (gate names)
3.2.1 NOT 3.2.2 OR 3.2.3 AND 3.2.4 NOR 3.2.5 NAND 3.2.6 XOR 3.2.7 XNOR

3.3 Memory (this is quite and important topic)
3.3.1 Set/Reset Latch (RS latch) 3.3.2 RS-NOR Latch 3.3.3 T Flip-flop 3.3.4 Signal memory loops

3.4 Clocks
3.4.1 Torch clocks 3.4.2 Hopper clocks 3.4.3 Decay clock (my fav) 3.4.4 Rapid Pulse clocks 3.4.5 Piston clocks

4. Rails
4.1 Rail Components and Interactions with Redstone 
4.1.1 Rail 4.1.2 Powered rails 4.1.3 Detector rails 4.1.4 Activator rails 4.1.5 All minecarts 

5. Problem solving and Planning
This section will include tutorial on how to design redstone circuits to solve specific problems and design machines to accomplish your needs. This is more thinking based, cold and logical programming basically. It will also include tips for compacting your creations. 

I think this is a good idea. We haven't had a resident redstoner around in some time now, and having a place people can visit to look at examples instead of hunting for Youtube tutorials should be very helpful. There's a lot of stuff I still can't pull from memory like T flip-flops and pulse randomizers.

This would be soooo helpful!!!!
hi i dont play minecraft very often much anymore but would love to start playing again.

Id say i know redstone to a good extent , but i could use some traning
"Permit my hazard into your plight. Once life sucked, now 'tis alright?" -Epros, Okage Shadow King

@ Arrei Isn't Sai still the redstoner on the server?

Yeah, but she isn't exactly playing on the server as of late, right?

(09-17-2016, 02:43 AM)Arrei Wrote: Yeah, but she isn't exactly playing on the server as of late, right?
sai hasnt been on for a while ;-;
FUCK YOU, IM FROM OAKLAND

I could help. I know a lot of things about red stone. All except comparators...

@Arrei, Should I use the forums for text or some word document? Signs causes lag and books are hard to edit.
Also, Can I have somewhat of a protected area? just afraid of ppl stealing things and I really couldn't keep track of what works and what not after completing the tutorial.

Mumbo MKII lol. On a serious note, a guide would be a big help. I understand a lot, but comparators no. Particulars like NOR, etc not so much, but that's more due to not using them much.