• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase server render distance
So I've asked what the server render distance was, and to my suprise is was 6. I saw the other thread about render distance and I wondered why it is 6, due to lagg? Would you please consider changing the distance to 12 or 10 or is this not plausible? It would help making my larger farms a lot faster!

Thanks for reading!

We'd love to, but we can't. We've tried. Increasing the distance to 7 already causes a huge increase in lag. That's just something more populated servers have to deal with, unless they want to buy multiple servers, connect them together, and split players across worlds, or do something more unsavory such as forbidding the use of entities like armor stands, item frames, minecarts, boats, etc.

Weird that it laggs so bad at 10 chuncks, I've played on multiple equivalent servers like this one and a render distance of 10+ worked fine there. Could it be a plugin that causes the lagg? What are the specs of the server?

I agree, it kinda makes shader screenshots a bit hard.

[Image: YZNyWHy.png]

that is one beautiful image

(01-14-2016, 04:32 PM)Seasoap Wrote: that is one beautiful image

Note how you can clearly see the edge of the loaded chunks.

shhhh its like an infinity pool xD I love the textures :3

Could you increase the server distance to 7 with the next server restart to see how bad the lagg actually is?

I also would like to see an increase in the render distance. Right now it feels like I can see stuff but can't see stuff. It;s just nothing really.

I dont know what the fuss is about really. Increasing the distance from 6 to 7 would increase the lag of the server noticeably, and most people wouldn't even notice/care that they can see a grand total of 16 blocks farther. Currently, the render distance is 6 (96 blocks). By changing it to 7, you would be able to see 122 blocks, which is only a 15% increase. For the cost of this, the server would be loading an extra 24 chunks (65,565x24 blocks). Is the lag worth it?
[Image: P4HqY8y.png]