• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase server render distance
The only argument that makes sense to me is: at 7 you see over 100 blocks to the next person's build, while at 6 you don't see the last 4 blocks. No biggie since you should walk around your build area anyway.
/Rowebot

Well, apart from slightly better vision, increased server distance also allows better performance and spacing for farms. Most notably, the full-size, 36-pod 18x18 iron golem farm is possible with 7, but with 6 you have to downsize as I've done.

However, as I mentioned, we've already tried that and found it increased lag by quite a great deal during peak hours, to the point we get block lag. And nobody likes block lag.

(01-18-2016, 03:15 AM)Master Wrote: nobody likes block lag.

Agreed. Being a builder myself, i utterly hate it.

Also, consider that at 7 chunks distance, the server is trying to load 49 chunks (56,000 x 49 blocks) PER PERSON. That is where the lag comes from.
[Image: P4HqY8y.png]

(01-18-2016, 03:15 AM)Arrei Wrote: Well, apart from slightly better vision, increased server distance also allows better performance and spacing for farms. Most notably, the full-size, 36-pod 18x18 iron golem farm is possible with 7, but with 6 you have to downsize as I've done.

However, as I mentioned, we've already tried that and found it increased lag by quite a great deal during peak hours, to the point we get block lag. And nobody likes block lag.

Yeah, less purty screenshots and smaller feature-molesting farms is a small price to pay for much less server lag. I honestly can't stand it when the server latency goes full throttle and makes combat and building extremely confusing and sometimes deadly.