• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ban Appeal
Well, since none of the staff are responding to my question about this IP ban being permanent, I'm going to guess it is.

Farewell.
"Innocence lost is not easily regained. The designer simply cannot predict the problems people will have, the misinterpretations that will arise, and the errors that will get made." - Donald Norman

The only reason I'm responding further is because another staff-member is busy studying, so I'm presenting their argument and evidence for you. They'll come by when they have time to affirm that this is their evidence. To start, not reading your essay. I know how those usually go, "Grimm_Wolfe is wrong because A - Z; unban me, please."

Are you familiar with the concept of a snare? It's a trap that catches prey without bait, usually revolves around killing prey when they struggle in a noose–the more they struggle, the faster they die. Whatever your wrote caught the attention of the [Founder] who became curious and a fellow staff-member decided to investigate this ban on their behalf. You brought more staff to the attention of your mines.

Here's what they found from an earlier mine of yours.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2rshu3c62/151b4dd3/

From a main tunnel, you mined off and hit diamond straight on once:
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_13_at_10_40_20_AM.png]

You then did it again here not long after, only you also adjusted for height:
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_13_at_10_40_29_AM.png]

You then mined over a single block off a main tunnel shortly after the other two and uncovered diamond you would've missed:
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_13_at_10_40_46_AM.png]

You even did this with gold through granite:
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_13_at_10_40_38_AM.png]

This fellow staff-member concluded that you make too many "lucky" turns to valuable ores and that this strip of mine is not consistent with your statements, and they support that the ban on your account is justifiable. They reasonably support–as I believe–that you're hiding sessions of x-ray between sessions of legitimate mining.

In any case, locking thread as you're leaving.
[Image: MlZF3GH.png]
"C'mon, let's keep it simple, huh?  He broke the rules, I banned him."

HomeTown Rulebook

I'm said staff member who couldn't reply- I took a quick break from studying to catch up on missed messages and saw this was posted. I read your response as to how you claimed it was strip mining, and that made me second guess myself, so I went through your mines for an hour last night logging every break, turn you took, and when/where they were. I saw that you had already created a strip mine prior to these breaks which looked like an absolutely normal strip mine:
[Image: k3s8rGP.png]

That's not what was referred to. The majority of the diamond breaks you made were surface breaks... until we get to the most recent breaks as Grimm helped me out with and showed already. The mine on the first page had no form of "strip mining" tactic, whether it be straight line for a long time (you magically stopped when you hit diamond a few times), making the mine you did like above, or even wiseman's crazy-ass "bee-hive" method that I don't know how to explain. There were many instances where you mined through a wall by a block, "luckily" found diamond, gold, iron, etc., and made other paths around it so as to make it seem like it was a genuine find.

I would've banned you for x-ray as well; there were too many lucky instances to be honest mining.
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!

The questions decided upon for you to answer are:

- Why is x-raying/cheating bad by its nature?
- How does x-raying/cheating affect others?
- How does x-raying/cheating affect the server's economy?
- Finally, any further questions/comments you have for us?

Reply to these for Grimm- I won't be responding anymore. Go for a good response and you have a good shot at being unbanned.
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!

Why is x-raying/cheating bad by its nature: X-raying allows a player to have an unfair advantage to acquire resources they didn't gain legitimately.

How does x-raying/cheating affect others: Other players can't take advantage of such information granted from exploits so they receive far less amounts of resources over time. The cheaters technically steal from otherwise innocent players through trading these ill-gotten resources and robbing them from the world.

How does x-raying/cheating affect the server's economy: People that exploit can basically print money. This can influence prices in player markets so that regular players can't afford (or even buy if they're out of stock) less common items as the cheater has more currency. This forces supply down while raising demand from other innocent players. The end result creates an environment favorable for price fixing and a slew of other problems. It puts "dirty currency" into the system that wouldn't exist without these exploits eroding away the value of the currency and spikes inflation.

Finally, any further questions/comments you have for us: Thank you to all staff-members involved for your patience dealing with this situation. I appreciate the help and kind words you've provided Star. I'm ready to get over this entire dilemma and start playing again before the new Diablo season hits next Friday.

Thanks.
"Innocence lost is not easily regained. The designer simply cannot predict the problems people will have, the misinterpretations that will arise, and the errors that will get made." - Donald Norman

Star brought this to my attention over Discord that she wanted to allow you a chance to come back. Since both Star and I are both involved in this ban, we both share equal influence over it. I didn't put down a final ruling over it for that reason alone. Banned, unbanned, or pardoned; it doesn't make any difference to me so I'm okay with the opportunity being given.

Since Star already gave her own variant of the questions I usually ask–and you answered them to an acceptable degree–you will be unbanned. By the time you read this, your account and IP will have already been unbanned.

Welcome back to HomeTown MC SMP, Josh.
[Image: MlZF3GH.png]
"C'mon, let's keep it simple, huh?  He broke the rules, I banned him."

HomeTown Rulebook