• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 month rule.
As we all know, there are a lot of random abandoned noob huts scattered around the world. These huts can even sometimes keep us from expanding our builds. So what if there rule where a player has to be on at least once a month if they want to keep their build. If a player fails to follow this rule, then their build will be permanently removed. But this is just an idea of mine and I would love to hear your opinion on it. 
Big Grin

While i totally get how upsetting it can be to see so many abandoned builds, I'm not crazy about the rule. I'm the kind of person who goes months without playing certain games to only come back and binge them for another month. I'd hate for my builds to be removed after only being away for a short while. Plus, some people have a lot to do and don't have time to devote to games all the time.

But it's an interesting idea
[Image: tumblr_inline_n1rhvyVtn31ro7ysz.gif]

(12-23-2016, 02:41 AM)ManaHasu Wrote: While i totally get how upsetting it can be to see so many abandoned builds, I'm not crazy about the rule. I'm the kind of person who goes months without playing certain games to only come back and binge them for another month. I'd hate for my builds to be removed after only being away for a short while. Plus, some people have a lot to do and don't have time to devote to games all the time.

But it's an interesting idea

Thank you for your feedback ManaHasu.  Smile

Sir I have question for you, weren't you on a hiatus that lasted at least a month? If so, how would you feel if this rule was implemented while you were away and your builds were rolled back? You wouldn't be very happy would you. This is precisely why I'm against this idea. I don't want to to worry about losing my builds if I go on a hiatus, it would make me not want to come back, and I can assume others feel the same way.
[Image: latest?cb=20140209085003]

Yes, I was on hiatus a while back, but not for a whole month. And yes I wouldn't feel good about having my build removed, but I also wouldn't riot about it. And it's not like you have to be on for like all day. Just pop in each month and your fine. And you would have to notify staff ahead of time that you're going on hiatus for a while, so they won't remove your builds.

(12-23-2016, 02:52 AM)SirPlaysMC Wrote: Yes, I was on hiatus a while back, but not for a whole month. And yes I wouldn't feel good about having my build removed, but I also wouldn't riot about it. And it's not like you have to be on for like all day. Just pop in each month and your fine. And you would have to notify staff ahead of time that you're going on hiatus for a while, so they won't remove your builds.

What if something unexpected happened where you have no access to your computer? You would lose all of progress for something that wasn't your fault. I understand that all of these abandoned builds are annoying, but some it can already be rolled back. Such as torches, small buildings that don't have furnaces or chest in them, etc. There are a few systems put into place to limit the amount of abandoned structures, there just a bit hidden.
[Image: latest?cb=20140209085003]

(12-23-2016, 02:52 AM)SirPlaysMC Wrote: Yes, I was on hiatus a while back, but not for a whole month. And yes I wouldn't feel good about having my build removed, but I also wouldn't riot about it. And it's not like you have to be on for like all day. Just pop in each month and your fine. And you would have to notify staff ahead of time that you're going on hiatus for a while, so they won't remove your builds.

Understandable, but imagine all the names the staff would have to keep track of when people say they'll be away for a while. Also, how long would they have to be on hiatus before staff decided enough was enough? There's also situations when people don't know they have to leave for a while, or don't have time to tell anyone. The last time I was on Hiatus, it was because my computer was broken and I didn't really have time to tell anyone. 

it's a big world out there! There's plenty of room for us all, even with all the abandoned builds  Smile

I hope you don't think we're beating your idea down, it's definitely something that's crossed my mind a few times, but it's a little hard to make a rule like that, ya know?
[Image: tumblr_inline_n1rhvyVtn31ro7ysz.gif]

Yeah, I disagree with this idea too. I'm not a builder so I don't get how it feels to be prevented from expanding your builds due to a slightly inactive player, but I can imagine. Still though, I wouldn't want to leave for a month or two due to personal conditions with all the intentions of coming back, then come back and realise all my builds are gone. Maybe if it was a longer time? Idk.
[Image: Jh4Rh61.png]  

I strongly disagree with this suggestion. The entire point of this server is to be able to build at your leisure with no fear of your structures being destroyed with the stringent no-griefing policies. I think it would completely ruin the spirit of HomeTown for builds to be available for demolition just because someone wasn't online for a month or two. Especially with such a short time frame; one month isn't a very long time.

As others have already mentioned, not everyone plays Minecraft consistently, and sometimes stuff happens in real life that takes you away from your computer unexpectedly. I personally play video games obsessively for weeks (or months), and then may not touch them for weeks (or months) suddenly. I see no reason that myself or anyone else should be essentially punished for not playing Minecraft consistently.

If any rule like this were ever applied, I feel it would have to be based on many factors, not just the amount of time someone has been offline. Factors such as:

-How long has the person been inactive?
-How complete/incomplete is the build in question. Also, how large is the build or claimed area.
-How many other builds does the person have?
-How much time has the person spent on the server in total?

Putting these together, you could have instances like this:

-Person A has been offline for two months, their build is large incomplete, but they have 9 other builds and have spent many hours on the server-- this person could likely return and their build should be left untouched.

-Person B has been offline for three months, their build is complete but small, and they have no other builds. They have spent only an hour on this server-- this person has invested very little time in the server and their small build will likely go unmissed if removed.

Using more variables seems like the only "fair" way that anything like this could be determined. Even then, it would give the mods a lot more work to bother with, and there's still the all-too-likely chance that a short-time player will return after a four month hiatus and throw up a fit over their tiny treehouse that's now been paved over by someone's horse track.

That being said, the mods have said many times that they do not allow people to claim land without the intention to use it. A lot of the time noob huts are used to claim territory, so deciding if a noob hut has been used for this purpose-- or if it's the genuine home of a noobling-- could open up a whole different discussion on this topic.

All this aside tho, I highly recommend that you plan before plotting a build. If you know that you are going to expand, claim a slice of territory that will allow you to do so. If you use your land for builds and don't just sit on a massive claim without touching it, the mods will understand.

Sir, I totally understand what you mean, eventually my build will need to expand and there are others builds in the way, that haven't been on for a couple months now. But knowing I have a 6 month business trip coming up, so I will have no access to Hometown Server, the 1 month period is quite scary. Luckily I base with someone else that will be on.

This is a tough situation, from experience learnt from before the reset, is to make sure you wall up a good space for yourself to consider your land with noone to come in to build, which take lots of planning and ugly ass walls to start. Better than having intruders. Other than that Mail the person, and speak with the mod because every situation is different so it may result in different outcome.

Good Luck this thread is a good start to this kind of issues.
Ign : BigAssMofo

Joined HT in 2015
MIA since 2017
Back in Action: 2024