• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nether is fair game
I doubt any of these items will gain any traction, but I'll propose a couple of ideas anyway:

1) I've been on several servers, in the past, where the Nether was a no-holds-barred wild-west free-for-all. The rest of the server areas were strictly controlled, not unlike HT, but the Nether was PvP-allowed, and no claims. On most of those servers the Nether was reset, on average, every 1-3 months. This is an extreme suggestion, and only lightly proffered. 

2) Claims, overworld or nether, must either be actual "claims" or signified by effort, ie: a 'reasonable effort or build' of some sort ( sorry, but imo, a few weak blocks slapped down in the middle of a plateau with a sign stuck in it is not fair or reasonable when used ad nauseum ). Obviously, if you build something, there should be protection afforded, but dropping a sign on a nether fortress or ocean temple or random plot of land, or other resource, that simply reads "claimed", while no effort is made to improve or secure, or really provide protection for the area, should not be valid

I had a couple other points on this same theme, but I'm not expecting any kind of warm reception to even these, so I'll wait and see what kind of scorching retorts I'm subjected to before expanding on this theme.
"Taste Sauce, from which all spices flow! Drink up, ye Pirates here below! Until the Kansas School Board calls, Praise Noodles, Sauce, and Meaty Balls! RAmen!"

(12-30-2016, 12:53 PM)OrkasaurusRex Wrote: 2) Claims, overworld or nether, must either be actual "claims" or signified by effort, ie: a 'reasonable effort or build' of some sort ( sorry, but imo, a few weak blocks slapped down in the middle of a plateau with a sign stuck in it is not fair or reasonable when used ad  nauseum ). Obviously, if you build something, there should be protection afforded, but dropping a sign on a nether fortress or ocean temple or random plot of land, or other resource, that simply reads "claimed", while no effort is made to improve or secure, or really provide protection for the area, should not be valid

people who do this, including me, do it because they plan to do something with it, and may not be able to fully claim it with claim blocks or make a full on legit wall or whatever

about 1) though, i agree,  to claim something it should have much more than a few blocks to be considered something to be able to claim since when you place a block, no one can build around that for 100 blocks
FUCK YOU, IM FROM OAKLAND

And here I was like "Wow! A thread about me!"

About about the second option, would you just completely remove sign claiming entirely? As Lynx said, some people need signs because they don't have enough claim blocks or the simply don't have the time to build a wall around their sculpture.

About the first option, if you would turn pvp on in the Nether, what about the player with fly? Wouldn't that have them an extreme advantage over everyone else? Although I do agree with the reset idea personally, what about the players who spend hours apon hours building Wither Farms? Would you make them re-build it each time the Nether resets?

I didn't come to HT for PVP and I would be pretty upset if I had to worry about being shanked while mining quartz or something.
[Image: 0z5OFEa.png]

One issue with a "wild west" Nether area is that people will be dropping portals anywhere. These portals will disrupt peoples lands in the normal world.

On the part 2: it is my understanding that staff decided several months ago a few things on this. 1) a claimed area must have a structure on it - a simple sign, fence post, workbench, chest, or furnaces, does not count. This is why many people have taken to placing small huts or 1x1 pillars along their borders. 2) "claimed" areas, or those areas marked but w/o claim blocks need to be worked. If you just put down a noob hut and leave the place untouched for months, staff has the option to usurp that land for someone who wants it and is going to work it.

Looking for a staff member to back me up/clarify here cuz I could not find the thread this was discussed in from back around september-october.
Just enough of a Bastard to be worth liking.

"We've stated multiple times claiming land you have no intention of actually using is not allowed. If it appears an area has been claimed solely for the purpose of claiming as much valuable real estate as possible, staff will sort it out between relevant parties."

"Well, by this we do not mean fencing off the area you think you need for any grandiose plans - I've done that, myself. We don't mean laying claim to dungeons or other structures one intends to sell, either. When we say land, we mean land - we've seen people running around claiming land they think is valuable, while their actual builds are somewhere completely different, and selling entire biomes is not something we will condone."

Source: https://hometownmc.com/forums/showthread...ight=claim
Human embodiment of Murphy’s Law, at your service!