• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Worth playing
I have a simple question for all of you.

What is your favorite video game or video game series-
and is it worth playing?

Basically i want to compile a list of games that everyone can choose from when it comes to buying new games or enjoying classics. I'd also love to see some short descriptions of the game and why you like it  Big Grin

Please keep it casual and don't insult other's opinion on favorite games

I'm starting the list with the Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank games.
I have loved these games ever since i was 4 years old, and i have always found them to be funny 
(especially R&C because of the titles alone)
Going commando, Up your arsenal, Size matters, Tools of destruction, Quest for booty, A crack in time, Full frontal assault, All 4 one... etc
"Permit my hazard into your plight. Once life sucked, now 'tis alright?" -Epros, Okage Shadow King

Final fantasy 7. They are making a remake that I'm hoping will come out this year. When it comes out on steam in about 3 weeks I'm gonna be playing final fantasy 15.

[Image: 7bNhSIS.png]

I've played lots of games over the years but I find I always fall back to a handful as my go to games.
1) Civilization III : there are like 6 in the series now and from the first to the current they have all been good games with massive re-playability but for me III is the best for casual turn based strategy.
2) Space Empires V : I found this back during SE3 and fell in love with the concept. Start with a planet and nothing, build up tech, tools, and design and build ships, explore the galaxy, conquer all. SE5 is the best version of this for the long game experience as it can take up to a month to finish a game and the tech tree is so expansive that each play is unique.
3) Unturned : an open ended zombie survival game that has MMO play as well as single player. I fall back to this game a lot when I get bored of others. You start out with next to nothing (or naked with nothing if it's your first play though), and have to find gear, tools, and clothes. You need to build shelter and can make tables, couches, lockers, etc. Tech tree is simplistic and you use character xp to buy from the tree. A few versions back they added professions and new vehicles, along with new zombie types. It's a game that tends to be more fun with a small group on a server but can also be fun on single survival. Only down side is once you get established, goals are non existent so you can get bored.
4) Banished : A recent favorite, banished is a town builder game. Premise: you starting townies have been banished from other colonial towns and are starting your own. Random seed generator for maps gives lots of replay and challenge levels.
5) Pharaoh : a very old city builder set in ancient Egypt. This game started back in the DOS days and has been updated many times over the years. Steam had a version at one time. The campaign play spans several dynasties, free play offers a good variation of maps with there own challenges.
6) Warlock & Warlock II : both are civilization-like but set in a fantasy world with different races to choose from. Both use the CIV 5 engine but have the added bonus of portals leading to other worlds. Single player can be a challenge and on line can be worse (or better if you and a friend co-op).
7) Knights of Pen and Paper (1 & 2): If you have played face-to-face paper and dice games this game will give you a laugh as its premise is gamers in mom's basement role playing out what you do in the game. As you level up you can earn items that give you benefits to add to the gaming table. Hard to explain to someone who has not done ftf games but it's on steam if you want to check it out.
Just enough of a Bastard to be worth liking.

Some of my personal favorites
Borderlands Franchise: Great combination of action and comedy in the form of a shooter rpg hybrid
Naruto Ultimate Storm series: great anime fighting game even for casual and non fans of the show
Fallout 3 ,New Vegas, 4: love the post apocalyptic world and gives an interesting what if scenario plus mods typically enhance them.
Minecraft: endless possibilities to create,despite the general community is becoming more and more toxic

Those who hunt monsters should be careful lest they become monsters themselves-Fredrick Nietzche 

Is fortnite worth playing?
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

I have played 1000s of games over the years, most only for like 2 minutes cause they were crap and some for a very long time.

1. Fallout where the first game was the best.

2. Civilization series. All great games

3. Football manager. Extremely timeconsuming but if you have the time try it out.

4. Arma where I prefer Arma 3. Massive military online game. Can also be played as a survival game.

5. Total War series.

Some of my more recent favorites:

The uncharted series: freaking amazing adventure/exploration games with awesome stories and fun characters.

Infamous 1 and 2: i love these games because of their easy premise of being called a terrorist and having to either live up to that name or show the world that you're not. Although there are 4 games in the series, i havent gotten far into infamous second son and first light to talk about them.

Mother 3: probably the best rpg i have ever seen, as its a very sad story of missfits teaming up to defeat a crazy man who acts like a toddler and has caused the entirity of their world to be greedy and corrupt.

The last of us: probably the best zombie survival game i've ever played, as it has an amazingly grim story and brilliant characters. SERIOUSLY, PLAY THIS ONE!

Portal 2: likely my favorite game ever made for pc, it is the best you can get in puzzels combined with an amazing story that takes you to the depths of aperture science and back to finally confront the big bad core of the facility.
"Permit my hazard into your plight. Once life sucked, now 'tis alright?" -Epros, Okage Shadow King

[Image: RQWB7Qj.png]

All of the Walking dead: because the story line is just set out so well its a good game to play. I've really enjoyed playing season 1 and 2 as well as watching all of the games that are out. 

Geometry Dash: I was gifted by Veo, its a good game for when you've got nothing to do and sets some good challenges for you to try and finish the level.

Unturned: A good multiplayer game which is free to play (unless you need a server) which is good fun to play as it is like minecraft with a more survival feel to it. It challenges you to travel around the chosen map and attempt to survive as long as you can against zombies (and other players in multiplayer) 

The Long Dark: One of my absolute favorite games. Although I haven't played it much (due to my laptop struggling to live right now) it is a great game to play. Similarly to Unturned, it creates a realistic sandbox survival to life. It challenges you through living in extremely cold conditions and against other wildlife in the game. You can choose what setting and intensity of the game you play in. Easy mode where wolves wont attack you and you're given an easy start. Then further through the mode it begins to add wolves which will attack, bears, and harsher weather conditions. 

Party Hard: Again, similar to Geometry Dash: it allows for some challenging levels to attempt to kill everyone at the party. You cannot be caught, otherwise the level will be reset. In addition it has a story line so as you play, you find out who your character really is...

(Oh and also Sims 4 because that's a good game too)
[Image: 7xI6abY.png]
- KatNip

The game that i've sunk the most hours into is PlanetSide 2.

It's a f2p MMO/FPS which works surprisingly well at combining the MMO side with the FPS side. Of course, lots of people accuse it of being pay to win, however it's not. Unless you already have knowledge of how to use different guns in different scenarios, you won't benefit from buying in game items. And if you do, you're most likely skilled enough to use the starter items to their full potential and get just as many kills as anyone else.

Infantry play is rather technical. There's 6 main classes of infantry, however you can build a loadout to perform a specific role. The "infiltrator" for example, can be kitted out as a sniper, or as a close range assassin. The controls for infantry (and vehicles too) are very smooth and the default keybindings place everything within easy reach.

Each "map" is literally a map. They're massive, with between 30 and 80 regions to walk, drive, and fly around. The gun play is what you'd expect from an FPS, and well balanced. interaction between infantry, vehicles, and air is great, with plenty of anti-vehicle and anti-air possibilities for infantry. Dogfights require skill, not money, to win.

There are massive benefits to playing with friends (or strangers) in squads and platoons, however it's perfectly fine to play the game solo, like I usually do. There are loads of options for coordinating your squads using waypoints, vehicles, and voice chat.

The only drawbacks I can think of are that it takes a while simply to learn what everything does in the game, and that it's performance isn't the best. The game has always been on that thin line of optimisation. The majority of people play on mid or high graphics, with only those with proper gaming rigs playing on ultra. Large fights tend to drop your fps significantly due to the sheer number of meshes and particles from the hundreds of players, vehicles, and projectiles.

It will take hours to get used to the maps. There's a newbie continent called Koltyr for new players, where anyone above a certain rank can't join. It has one of each type of major base to get you used to their layouts as well as some minor bases dotted around. There are four main continents, and each one has 3 of each major base. These will always have the same layout, and have things like shield generators, spawn control units, and other obscure features. Every other base is considered a minor base, and no two minor bases are the same. This means that to know your way around, you need to pay close attention to your map until you start to learn certain bases.

Luckily, the map designers were somewhat lazy and used prefabs to make each base. This means that each base will be a different combination of the same buildings and rooms, so you will often recognise parts of bases from other bases. This helps a little.

After over 270 hours, I now know the layout of 90% of the bases, and know which bases are north, south, east, and west of them and the best way to get there by land. I like this game.

Here's some of my own gameplay:

https://plays.tv/video/586a7fc488572a5ed...?from=user

EDIT: "No two minor bases are the same" well, technically there's thing like Construction site Alpha, Construction site Beta, etc etc which are the same, however these were intended to be placeholders until different bases could be added. They still haven't added those bases.
[Image: P4HqY8y.png]

I agree with penguin, planet side 2 is a blast, running my own Outfit on it most evenings but my main game is rainbow six siege. Beats every game i've ever played, maybe this screenshot of my steam profile might help?
[Image: leBITuK.png]

I'm plat 3 and play it as much as I can, it's extremely tactical and is the least pay to win game I've ever seen.
Mechanic, Landrover lover, dont let me near a welder and an oxy torch Big Grin

[Image: CZo9VnF.png]