• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Poll: Ban Reselling?
Yes. It's wrong and should be punished
No.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Shop Related Rule
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before but it seems like something that's been prohibited already by most shops and should be made a server rule. That rule being no reselling, or no buying from one shop and selling it to another for profit. It seems like there's always somebody doing it and it's always frowned upon.

From what I've seen Moo's practically given up on warp lobster which he made to help the server's players because a couple greedy ones just buy everything then sell to other shops to make a quick buck off his hard work. Even right now as I'm making this there's an argument in server chat about it because a new player thought they'd resell instead of earning money the right way.
It's a prehistoric planet Morty.
Someone has to bring a little culture,
And It Certainly Can't Be SomeOne

WHO'S ENTIRE CULTURE POWERS MY BRAKE LIGHTS

Pretty sure this has been against the rules for a while
[Image: P4HqY8y.png]

I'd like to add that crafting items and selling them back, of course, within reasonable 'distance' and with the intent to resell should also be considered a violation.

I'd like to add this because of an incident that happened about two weeks ago, where a player (I think it was OcuDuck) made many stacks of fermented spider eyes from other stores, and gained about $2k from selling it to Graydenn. I believe that this is reasonably, resale, even if it was not completely direct.

(08-11-2018, 04:15 AM)Penguin Wrote: Pretty sure this has been against the rules for a while

Unfortunately it's not. It may be spoken but never actually added to /rules or the forums rules page

(08-11-2018, 04:18 AM)Ardenmorsolias Wrote: I'd like to add that crafting items and selling them back, of course, within reasonable 'distance' and with the intent to resell should also be considered a violation.

I'd like to add this because of an incident that happened about two weeks ago, where a player (I think it was OcuDuck) made many stacks of fermented spider eyes from other stores, and gained about $2k from selling it to Graydenn. I believe that this is reasonably, resale, even if it was not completely direct.

That one's a little sticky, but I see your point. Although in reality Graydenn has a history of making bad financial decisions and prices. He's currently in debt because of them.

(08-11-2018, 04:22 AM)I401 Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 04:18 AM)Ardenmorsolias Wrote: I'd like to add that crafting items and selling them back, of course, within reasonable 'distance' and with the intent to resell should also be considered a violation.

That one's a little sticky, but I see your point. Although in reality Graydenn has a history of making bad financial decisions and prices. He's currently in debt because of them.

While it is true that he does and has made bad decisions, it is important to separate this from what happened. The reason he is in debt is a separate instance that is unrelated to the fermented spider eyes.
Maybe if the player that sold the spider eyes had farmed the items required to make them, I would give all liberty, to them, really to take advantage of the prices, although I would not encourage them to.

"scamming" has always been against the rules. (People have been banned for selling blocks of dirt renamed to "diamond"). It's not in /rules or in the hometown rulebook but is still enforced. I've just looked at the rulebook and there's no mention of this specific example, however there has always been some sort of punishment for cheating the economy. I think the problem is more that not enough of these people are being punished for it
[Image: P4HqY8y.png]

(08-11-2018, 04:28 AM)Ardenmorsolias Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 04:22 AM)I401 Wrote:

While it is true that he does and has made bad decisions, it is important to separate this from what happened. The reason he is in debt is a separate instance that is unrelated to the fermented spider eyes.
Maybe if the player that sold the spider eyes had farmed the items required to make them, I would give all liberty, to them, really to take advantage of the prices, although I would not encourage them to.
That is true. I've been meaning to talk to him about a couple of his sell & buy prices on items that are way too high.

Its not officially against the rules. Its been extremely frowned upon and many players have lost a lot out of shop exploitation. I'm not saying that its not wrong, nor saying that there shouldn't be a rule to protect shop owners, I just personally feel as if its the shop owners job to do their research on the servers economy around them so they don't receive such a big loss financially (I.E Price matching, Donation v Value ratio, cost efficiency+ price equilibrium)

Also want to add that there is a difference between shop price exploitation and scamming.
[Image: 4vk53BR.gif]

The staff actually banned someone for doing this, I've asked multiple staff about this and they all say it is now bannable, so I would say it is a common sense rule.
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

(08-11-2018, 05:28 AM)Anonymouse Wrote: The staff actually banned someone for doing this, I've asked multiple staff about this and they all say it is now bannable, so I would say it is a common sense rule.

If staff do that already then that's good but since it has yet to be added to /rules or the website's rule page new players and trolls can and do argue that it's allowed.

The polls and threads are to make it official and add it to the rules page and /rules