Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban Appeal
Server you were banned on (SMP): HometownMC

Minecraft name: Skoliro

Reason for your ban: Banned for Xraying

Who banned you: Grimm_Wolfe

Why should you be unbanned: Yes, I did xray. The majority of my resources were gotten without the xray texture pack that I used, but I did xray a little bit. overall I think I got about a stack of diamonds, maybe a little bit more, and about 10 or so emeralds. If I am unbanned I promise I will cease any xraying activity. I assume my mines were checked, which I realize are a complete dead giveaway. again, most of my materials and time on the server were spent without my texture pack on, so the majority of my builds and items in chests are legitimate. Also, if I am unbanned I will consent and not object to the destruction of any items gotten through xraying. I understand it's wrong to do, I had just gotten frustrated.

Why do you want to come back: Hometown is an amazing community and a great server. I've already, in addition to a large town, built some amazing friendships. The staff are all really nice and the community as a whole is incredible, I've never found a minecraft server quite like this one. In addition to the amazing community, I've also poured many hours into my builds, and I would hate to never see them again. Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I hope to see you back soon on the server!

(03-19-2016, 04:34 AM)Skoliro Wrote: I understand it's wrong to do, I had just gotten frustrated.
Apart from your appeal lacking in appreciable length requested by most staff for an x-ray appeal, do you really understand why it's wrong?  It's easy saying something is "wrong", but it doesn't prove an understanding of it.

Don't give me some single-sentence spiel, such as: "because cheating is wrong", "because people work hard legitimately", or "because the server rules said x-raying is illegal".

If you truly understand why x-raying–and cheating–in general is disallowed, then I expect a short essay <3+ paragraphs, 5+ sentences per paragraph> from you on the matter.  I expect you to explain to me in-depth why it is inherently bad via personal introspection and rational argument.  This is my expectation, your punishment, and an x-ray appeal's requirement; good luck, have fun writing.
[Image: MlZF3GH.png]
"C'mon, let's keep it simple, huh?  He broke the rules, I banned him."

HomeTown Rulebook

I really don't understand why you are so adamant about keeping me banned. The fact that you let griefers off easier than xrayers doesn't really make sense to me at all. If you don't accept the post that I have already written, then I'll accept my ban and go elsewhere. I have other things to do in life and I don't have time to write an essay in addition to all the others I already have on my plate at college. It makes absolutely no sense to me that you would allow someone who has destroyed someone else's entire build come back with a simple apology, but you require a 3+ paragraph essay from someone like me, who has been nice to everyone on the server, has integrated well into the community, and genuinely likes the server. I tried apologizing, I know it's wrong, and I don't need to write an essay explaining why it is wrong, that is simply a waste of my time. I'm not trying to be hostile, I just don't understand your logic. I'm not starting an argument either, I don't expect you to respond. I really like this community and the server as a whole and I'm sad to see my builds and friendships I've made on here go away, but I refuse to waste my time in this matter.

(03-20-2016, 07:24 AM)Skoliro Wrote: I really don't understand why you are so adamant about keeping me banned. The fact that you let griefers off easier than xrayers doesn't really make sense to me at all.  If you don't accept the post that I have already written, then I'll accept my ban and go elsewhere. I have other things to do in life and I don't have time to write an essay in addition to all the others I already have on my plate at college. It makes absolutely no sense to me that you would allow someone who has destroyed someone else's entire build come back with a simple apology, but you require a 3+ paragraph essay from someone like me, who has been nice to everyone on the server, has integrated well into the community, and genuinely likes the server. I tried apologizing, I know it's wrong, and I don't need to write an essay explaining why it is wrong, that is simply a waste of my time. I'm not trying to be hostile, I just don't understand your logic. I'm not starting an argument either, I don't expect you to respond. I really like this community and the server as a whole and I'm sad to see my builds and friendships I've made on here go away, but I refuse to waste my time in this matter.

I suspect with great confidence than you believe this is my personal standard, which that notion is not the case.  Every staff-member here expects an essay from x-rayers to be unbanned.  Though an essay-length appeal would certainly benefit a griefer trying to appeal, griefing–on this server–is viewed as a lesser offense on the continuum of crimes in most instances.  In the case of a griefer who "has destroyed someone else's entire build", the player is often perma-banned for mass-griefing with no chance to appeal.  I'm assuming the person you're using as a point of assessment in the griefer v. x-rayer discrepancy you're noting is Kirk_1701, as his appeal is the only one I've accepted on this new forum website for HT.  His griefing was minor but it was the final nail in the coffin for a series of minor offenses, which is why he was allowed an appeal via a well-written apology.

If you looked at other x-rayers' appeals–apart from those I have personally banned–you should easily note that the staff-members responding to them are as adamant as I am when it comes to offenders' writing requirements.  This is the punishment for x-raying, this is the staff-team's standard, but it is my responsibility to see that it is carried out to the letter and to my satisfaction as a member of the staff-team.

You may think I want to keep you banned, but that is honestly not the case.  Like you, I have other things I would rather be doing with my time than sit here and respond to you.  I would love to tell every person who has appealed "You're unbanned, welcome back to HomeTown", because that means I no longer have to engage in a prolonged discourse with them.  However, my responsibility to provide you with a public response as your banning staff-member–as long as you remain civil–prevents me from spending my time with more productive, meaningful things.  It would be easier on me if you initially lied to me on this appeal.  I would just post my report, lock the thread, maybe forum-ban your account, and continue with my life.  Instead, I'm here.  I'm sitting in my room at 4:17AM–after getting off a 9-hour nightshift–responding to a complete stranger, whom I have no interest in knowing, over a mundane event in comparison to real-life.

But, fuck me, it's entirely my fault for banning you and giving griefers an easier break, right?

HomeTown Rulebook

That is not at all what I meant by my post. I wasn't pointing fingers, I didn't say it was your fault for banning me. I understand why you banned me, I xrayed. I broke the rules. The only thing I didn't understand was why xraying is seen as a worse crime than griefing. Either way, I will attempt to apologize, I've looked through numerous servers and I'm frankly quite bored with them, Hometown is really a nice place and I would like to at least try to get back, although you're not getting a full 5 paragraph essay out of me.

I understand what I did was wrong, I broke a rule that is implicitly stated in the server rules, and for that I am deeply sorry. My complete motive behind why I xrayed is as follows:

1. I had heard people talking on the server about xraying in the past and it didn't seem like it was too big of a deal
2. I had been mining for an hour or so not finding any useful resources, with people in chat bragging about all of the things they were finding

Frankly, I had gotten frustrated and I didn't think there would be any significant consequences due to how the people were talking about it. I have never actually xrayed before, and I really do not plan to do so again. Although I do understand now why it is wrong to do.

If enough people xrayed on the server, it would mess with the entire economy system, the difficulty level of the game, and various other factors. It would also give players who did xray an unfair advantage over those who did not. After all, xray texture packs and xray mods are cheats for the game and are generally not allowed on any multiplayer servers. When I decided to xray I was not really thinking of the consequences of my actions, or how they would affect the larger populous, I was merely frustrated in the moment and thinking only of myself, which is never a good thing to do. As I originally stated, if allowed back onto the server, I will surrender any items gotten through xray to a moderator willingly, as they were more or less cheated in.

I really do hope you will take my apology into consideration, even though it's not your desired length. I really do love hometown. It's quite frankly the nicest server I have found yet. It has a strict no grief policy, no pvp, which is a must for me, and an amazing community. I would love the opportunity to be able to be able to implement myself into the community again, because there are so many amazing people that are a part of it.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Your appeal has warranted an unbanning, as you're remained honest, civil, and I don't believe you're giving me lip-service.  The bans are your account have been lifted by the time this comment is posted.

Welcome back to HomeTownMC, Skoliro.  Be sure to see that the fraudulent diamonds are given to an online staff-member when you see one.  Please, refrain from breaking our rules further.  Repeat offenses will be met with stiffer penalties and potentially a permanent-ban.

Also, welcome to the <1% of people who successfully appeal an x-ray ban on HomeTownMC.

HomeTown Rulebook