• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Periodic voter rewards to drive player engagement
So I go through phases with video games. I get super invested into one specific game and dump all of my time into it for a few weeks. I know that a lot of my friends are the exact same way and so I'm assuming that it's not an unusual way to play. I find that once I get hooked on a game I focus on reaching a goal, whether it's beating the main storyline, reaching a new rank, earning new gear or whatever. The problem with singleplayer Minecraft, for me, is that Minecraft has no inherent goal. Sure you can get to the dragon but why? So you can stare at an egg? Pass. The focus of the game is to gather resources and build and that on it's own gets tiring after a bit which is why I turned to multiplayer because servers have systems that make you want to keep playing there. For the last few weeks I was hellbent on reaching Expert. That was my goal and my focus and now that I've got it I'm thinking "what do I do now?" The vote grind from 660 to 1000 is a pretty chubby challenge with nothing in between but days spent building, farming, and shitposting in chat. 

My idea is thus : On every 15th (or 10) time that you vote, so every 75 votes (or 50,) you get 15 slot tokens instead of 5. That way even if your next rank is far off and you fall into that "meh that's too far I'm not going to bother with voting" you have something more short term to look forward to and aim for. This would give people more of a reason to keep wanting to come back beyond earning top voter and VIP, since that's mad competitive and not a guarantee. 

I also think it'd be neat if there was a way to keep track of brownie points for players who are well behaved or helpful. Say staff sees you help out a new player by giving them diamonds or logs or just going above and beyond to be helpful when you don't have any reason to be. It'd be cool to keep track of those good apples and give them periodic rewards (cash, resources, beet seeds, etc.) kind of like the good behavior bonus in GTA V. 

To summarize my point I think small rewards to encourage voting or good behavior would help with player engagement as well as player retention. That is all, I'll expect my phone interview for Elite by weeks end.

Did you know that expert and veteran didn't use to be vote ranks? they were staff-promoted, and to encourage people to vote, they were made vote ranks, and look at that, it encouraged me to get on the voting game! But my point here is that I think some sort of rank (No perks) should be added to just give a little more incentive to vote. like [Veteran+] at 1500 votes, or at 775, a rank called [Skilled] or something

Sadly I can't agree with the slot token idea though, as it would devalue items in the slot machines - overall ruining the economy.
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023

(05-01-2019, 07:18 AM)Cil Wrote: Did you know that expert and veteran didn't use to be vote ranks? they were staff-promoted, and to encourage people to vote, they were made vote ranks, and look at that, it encouraged me to get on the voting game! But my point here is that I think some sort of rank (No perks) should be added to just give a little more incentive to vote. like [Veteran+] at 1500 votes, or at 775, a rank called [Skilled] or something

Sadly I can't agree with the slot token idea though, as it would devalue items in the slot machines - overall ruining the economy.

Personally, I agree with your slot token comment.
It, however, would be somewhat nice to publicise how items are weighted in the slot machine. Transparency would be a nice qol upgrade. Some of the items from the slot machines are... underwhelming. I'm not suggesting changing the items themselves, but certainly the amount of items (like woods) should be adjusted appropriately.

I agree, It should be adjusted to a stack, not what it currently is.
8/15/2015
7/29/2019
5/3/2022
2/14/2023