• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Suggestions for New Ranks
Well, I think the players who had already managed to get AdvPlayer, should get Advanced in the new system at least, otherwise it feels a little like a setback.

As for the home number for ranks, perhaps even a touch easier than was suggested earlier, maybe one home for Member and lower, but each rank above gets one extra sethome?

VIPs should not automatically get a high-vote rank. It's been said dozens of times on dozens of ban appeals that VIP ranks do not accord a player any special privilege other than what they are literally buying the rank for, and I don't think that should change. You buy VIPs to fly, have pets, and unlimited sethomes, that's good enough. Smile
[Image: n4h33AN.gif]

/warp getoffmahlawn
/warp lucitrees
/warp lucihorse

I am not a VIP myself but I think players should be able to choose which tag they want. There could be an option or command to switch tags from VIP to whichever rank that player currently has through voting. When players get past a certain rank they may want to switch to show they're voting or, on the other hand, players might want to show VIP instead of Guest or Rookie and then switch once they have Advanced etc.
The world has moved on, they say...

I just have a suggestion for vip names. I'm a big fantasy nerd, and I think of vips like wizards because of pets, flying, /eat,/kit firework, etc. So why not give them "magical names". My suggestions for the vip's are as followed:
VIP1-Enchanter
VIP2-Wizard
VIP3-Magician
It would spice things up a bit, and set us off from other servers.
[Image: latest?cb=20140209085003]

I myself strongly opposes voting for ranks, at least until just before expert. I know that the staffs have been facing difficulties trying to promote everyone by hand, but I think there is a better way besides voting.

The below options calls for voting for rank to stop at a certain rank such as member.
The below options adds back the promotion to advplayer or its equivalence. So it will take 2 promotions to get to Expert.

I will provide 2 suggestions:

1. A major downside with voting for rank till adept is that online presence is not required for getting ranks. Someone who rarely plays can get to adept via voting offline. Putting time into playing on the server is supporting the server, so, if some of us do not wish to vote, or does not bother with voting, we should get some credit. I suggest using a counter, such that each vote registers as one point and every how many so hours of playing registers as one point (if possible). This way we could eventually all get to adept with enough playing. This way someone who plays and votes gets ranks faster than those who only plays, but the progress for those who doesn't vote does not stop completely. This also encourages online playing, and voting, at the same time.

2. If the staff cannot handle the sheer load of promoting by hand, why not employ some of the experts, or veterans, or elites (someone staff trust and is consistent) to do peer reviews and submit their verdict, whether to promote a certain player (who is already of a certain rank) rather than using some, to me, pointless and irrelevant voting count for rank. To avoid bias, randomly pick the reviewers and hook them up with a player who reached a certain rank, and do a couple of secret review or so.

I know it will take some infrastructure to put my suggestion into effect, but to me, they are more fair and logical.

(12-28-2015, 12:06 AM)Oshakai Wrote: I just have a suggestion for vip names. I'm a big fantasy nerd, and I think of vips like wizards because of pets, flying, /eat,/kit firework, etc. So why not give them "magical names". My suggestions for the vip's are as followed:
VIP1-Enchanter
VIP2-Wizard
VIP3-Magician
It would spice things up a bit, and set us off from other servers.

OOOO That would make me a Magician, and I support that idea! XD <3
[Image: n4h33AN.gif]

/warp getoffmahlawn
/warp lucitrees
/warp lucihorse

In one of my old servers they did ranking by time played, so 12 hours would be member rank, 48 hours next rank, 7 days next, 14 days, 30days .... etc... all play time AFK time didn't count and player could see how many hours they had played and what the next rank up / time would be. Just another Idea aside from voting. This would mean that players would spend more time on the server to rank up, usually contributing more than just votes to the server.
<3 Lowri
[Image: mclogic.jpg]

Yes, I already considered time based ranks. We used to do it on the short lived PvP server.

But, using votes as a unit of measurement for ranks doesn't necessarily mean that the rank is useless and means nothing. Votes ensure that the player actually spent X many days caring enough to vote. It means that they have been a supportive/dedicated member for that many days. If we use the timed system, it would not benefit the server in terms of garnering new players to the community and can also be exploited with afk machines. If we set it at how many hours played, it would take some members 5 days to get a rank and others 100 days. 

Votes also dramatically promote the server. The server was slowly declining in players as I stated in the original thread. This system, although having many downsides, helps both the rank issue we have and the population issue.

With the VIP discussion, I think I decided the easiest way is to let VIPs jump in on the ranks. So the question is, at what rank should the VIP title disappear and be replaced with the normal vote rank? Member rank? Experienced?

(12-27-2015, 07:57 PM)MissLuci Wrote: Well, I think the players who had already managed to get AdvPlayer, should get Advanced in the new system at least, otherwise it feels a little like a setback.

Experienced rank is the equivalent of AdvPlayer. The names might be confusing, but Advanced does not mean AdvPlayer. It was hard to come up with proper rank names and I can see the confusion for some players seeing Advanced and thinking it was the old AdvPlayer

(12-29-2015, 07:03 AM)frost Wrote: Yes, I already considered time based ranks. We used to do it on the short lived PvP server.

But, using votes as a unit of measurement for ranks doesn't necessarily mean that the rank is useless and means nothing. Votes ensure that the player actually spent X many days caring enough to vote. It means that they have been a supportive/dedicated member for that many days. If we use the timed system, it would not benefit the server in terms of garnering new players to the community and can also be exploited with afk machines. If we set it at how many hours played, it would take some members 5 days to get a rank and others 100 days. 

Votes also dramatically promote the server. The server was slowly declining in players as I stated in the original thread. This system, although having many downsides, helps both the rank issue we have and the population issue.

With the VIP discussion, I think I decided the easiest way is to let VIPs jump in on the ranks. So the question is, at what rank should the VIP title disappear and be replaced with the normal vote rank? Member rank? Experienced?

(12-27-2015, 07:57 PM)MissLuci Wrote: Well, I think the players who had already managed to get AdvPlayer, should get Advanced in the new system at least, otherwise it feels a little like a setback.

Experienced rank is the equivalent of AdvPlayer. The names might be confusing, but Advanced does not mean AdvPlayer. It was hard to come up with proper rank names and I can see the confusion for some players seeing Advanced and thinking it was the old AdvPlayer

For vip disappearing would be at adept? That sounds like the place i'd put it.
[Image: latest?cb=20140209085003]

Hey All,

I really like seeing my VIP3 status in chat. I believe it is unique and highlights those who donate to the server as just that...nothing more. I bought this named rank to support the server as well as to gain access to those perks attached to it. I would not wish it to disappear but I understand the need to include it into the ranking system.

I agree the names might be changed to what Oshakai suggested though. However, I thought Wizard was higher than Magician but then I don't know much about those "magical" things. Smile

Thanks everyone for all your hard work to make the server better. Thanks, Frost, for keeping it going for us to call Home.

Have a great day everyone!! Smile

I really think what Jazz said about players keeping vip tags is a good idea, Like how its going alone now. But maybe also the chance to switch if you please. VIP special names would be really cool to, lots of people are going for magical stuff I was thinking more like, I dunno maybe some sort of hero or the gods??? Maybe VIP1= Hercules!? VIP2=Thor!? VIP3=Odin?! but as i said before, I think having a command implemented that gives people the ability to switch from their lets say vip2 tagline before their name to their normal rank like Experienced or something..!
Mechanic, Landrover lover, dont let me near a welder and an oxy torch Big Grin

[Image: CZo9VnF.png]