• Welcome to the new forums! Server IP: smp.hometownmc.com
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happend to the server?
I also agree with Steak, the grasp of the server that kept me on has gone. I mean now you have to vote to get a title that doesn't show you as a newbie that most people of higher ranks ignore and don't socialize with anyway, but back to the point the fact is that this is meant to be a fun place for people to hang out where you earned your rank through respect not through voting and being forced to. Players should have a chance to say what they think of the server before you force them into something.

I know this mostly looks at the voting and players being told what to do, not to express their own opinions and whether they should vote themselves or not (here I go again...). I just think that when I first joined it was lovely and peaceful, now the server is run my plugins and money. Where has the friendly vibe of the spam of 'Welcomes!' in chat now? I seem to think like I'm the only one who does that now.

I understand that some of you will most likely disagree, especially the staff, but these are just my observations since when I joined.
Smile

Seriously?! A growing community seen as a BAD thing? What the hell?! If you folks are looking for a trip down memory lane then GO HERE: https://hometownmc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=520

WE WERE ALL NEWBS ONCE.

Has the server changed during my three years? Hell yes? It's high-point? Probably a mashup between now with the new-influx of players and when i joined and started building crazy things for the first time!

It's low-point? When i a lowly guardian was one of the remaining members of staff after the first HT anniversary and when i was demoted by Aremn over politics instead of my quality-of-work as a MOD. Those were the lows lol!  Not  more people joining, this is an injection full of energy, and we've needed this for some time!  I probably would have never come back again if i hadn;'t been welcomed with open arms by all the relatively new players that had joined during my absence, they made me feel welcome again.

I remember when the player-numbers went between 8-20 for a while. It felt like it was close to death frankly. And although the quality of the average conversation does seem to have taken an untimely tumble down the cliff, that's due to the changing nature of videogames, particularly MC where you have such a wide-range of ages and abilities from children to OAPS and from all walks of academic ability and comprehension.

The fact is that in regards to player-count and activity these forums are still a SHADOW of their former selves, although we see a high-turnover in terms of new players; Our player retainment (keeping new players active and involved) is really low. And frankly i put this down to the unwelcome nature of some of our community; old or young. Sometimes we're too eager to JUMP on them for rulebreaking and push them off and away, seeming hostile and patronising instead of friendly and open. Making our 'Welcomes' seem empty and fruitless.

Sometimes it's better to kill people with kindness, a phrase not used often enough.

Furthermore i still believe after three years here that HT is a super-amazing community. The staff, although not getting on with all of them all of the time i now am happy to say i get on with ALL of them most of the time Big Grin The players are great and active. I miss old faces like Legacy, Keko, Comatose (gave me lots of his stuff on my first day!), Teacup, Juliet, Uri and many many more. But i also welcome the new ones, the new people, the new master-builders, Jokers, just baskets of fun, lovable-rogues and so on.  We could all sit here and play the ole' 'back in my day' game which is what some of the OLD staff used to do after they quit. OR We could help continue to build the HT community and cement this server as THE-MC-Surival server to play on.

Best regards to all of you.
Wiseman738

Yeah, I get what you guys mean. I first logged on like 1 1/2 years ago. Hometown has really changed. I'm not sure whether or not that's good or not. I also agree with the chat overload I always turn it off. time will tell... I agree we need to tighten the community.

I forgot to say that me and Clemster and a few others are planning on a monthly event to bring the community together...details will follow in-good-time.

Best regards
FH

(03-29-2016, 04:40 AM)Wiseman738 Wrote: I forgot to say that me and Clemster and a few others are planning on a monthly event to bring the community together...details will follow in-good-time.

Best regards
FH

oh, well I should've guessed... staff is on point! also PARTTEE ya!

(03-29-2016, 04:42 AM)splogan Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 04:40 AM)Wiseman738 Wrote: I forgot to say that me and Clemster and a few others are planning on a monthly event to bring the community together...details will follow in-good-time.

Best regards
FH

oh, well I should've guessed... staff is on point! also PARTTEE ya!

Haha thanks man, but yeah it isn't a staff event which is great as it means that staff can join in too, i might need one or two to police it or Ask frost to give me some ole' temp mod powers or we'll sort something out. Either way it should be bloody awesome! Big Grin

Best regards
FH

PS: This event has been in creation for about a month now, it's taking a while due to me getting burnt out working so darn much on it, if anyone wants to help feel free to contact me here or on the server.

(03-29-2016, 04:18 AM)Nitro Wrote: I also agree with Steak, the grasp of the server that kept me on has gone. I mean now you have to vote to get a title that doesn't show you as a newbie that most people of higher ranks ignore and don't socialize with anyway, but back to the point the fact is that this is meant to be a fun place for people to hang out where you earned your rank through respect not through voting and being forced to. Players should have a chance to say what they think of the server before you force them into something.

I know this mostly looks at the voting and players being told what to do, not to express their own opinions and whether they should vote themselves or not (here I go again...). I just think that when I first joined it was lovely and peaceful, now the server is run my plugins and money. Where has the friendly vibe of the spam of 'Welcomes!' in chat now? I seem to think like I'm the only one who does that now.

I understand that some of you will most likely disagree, especially the staff, but these are just my observations since when I joined.
Smile

When i came back after around 6 months break i found the server strange with the new ranks. I remember having some chats about it when i was staff and i still think it's a good & fair system. The players win and the server wins. Voting helps the server grow and that means more fresh players joining hometown, that's good for everyone. It's fair for players because at times some players were not getting promoted or missed out for a single reason or two and some took way longer than others. At least with the new ranks players will be able to gain quite a few ranks before coming to a stop. At that point the players at the highest voter rank will be considered from to time to time for promotion by staff. And that's a good system in my opinion as it's a bit of both worlds and it works for everyone.

As for new players and new topics. I have seen it many times over the few years i have been playing. Each new group brings something new. Like meeting new people in real life, it takes a little time to get to know them and in the end getting on well with them and making new friends.

I think the people are very kind on this server. I'm relatively new here, and have only met a single infuriating player. I have met more than a few kids who seem to maybe not completely grasp everything, but thats fine so long as they don't contribute to the trolling of the infuriating individual.

I think the fact that I've been here about a week every night for about eight hours each session and have only met one bad influence speaks volumes of the others here. Everyone is kind, and the staff both kind and dedicated. I'm looking forward to losing my Rookie rank (which I believe should be soon I hope, after voting 9 times) and being considered a regular, and more so once I donate.

I dont really mind the whole growing thing, but I've been feeling for awhile now that the server is growing... boring... lots of new people, but I don't find many of them interesting and the people i've found interesting in the past are either gone, or have changed, either becoming less interesting or less involved in the server. Yeah, theres a lot of new players, but they aren't the same caliber of player.
Sorry about that whole “shooting you” thing, but I know if you look deep into your heart, which is currently all over that tree, you’ll find a way to forgive me.

[Image: GU8OFOr.png]

(03-29-2016, 05:36 PM)Wrexial33 Wrote: I dont really mind the whole growing thing, but I've been feeling for awhile now that the server is growing... boring... lots of new people, but I don't find many of them interesting and the people i've found interesting in the past are either gone, or have changed, either becoming less interesting or less involved in the server. Yeah, theres a lot of new players, but they aren't the same caliber of player.

I would second that. Trying to get my old crew back together is like pulling teeth. Some us feel the MC pull. Some don't. I wonder why that is.